PDA

View Full Version : Sugar Moths

Tanta K
03-02-2010, 08:24 PM
Is it my imagination, my waning memory or true? The sugar moths are absolutely invading my sap! Along with many snow fleas and some spiders too. Maybe all the critters had a long, cold winter and need the sugar? I'm making sure I strain well from cheesecloth, to paper, to wool, etc. But still...yuk!

dhbiker1
03-03-2010, 05:32 AM
Yes, there are a lot of moths so early this year. Usually I notice them get worse as the season goes on but they are plenty right from the start this year.

Father & Son
03-03-2010, 07:24 AM
Those sugar moths transform once the sun goes down. They turn into dive bombers. It seems that every moth that enters the sugar house circles the lights twice and dives straight into the syrup pan!

Jim

Dill
03-03-2010, 08:04 AM
I've been seeing moths in some buckets for 2 weeks now. I don't know how they came out so early. But they are floating.

Tanta K
03-11-2010, 06:27 AM
What a mess the buckets were yesterday! Hundreds of ants and moths. Since we have only 30 buckets, all were removed, scrubbed and re-hung in hopes of eaking about a bit more through the weekend to wind up our teaching programs. There are some photos on www.brooksvale.blogspot.com

hodorskib
03-11-2010, 07:47 AM
We have been having the same issue with moths for the past two weeks, hundreds in our buckets. I plan on washing out the buckets on Sunday after the rains.

TF Maple
03-11-2010, 09:26 AM
No moths by me in Wisconsin and only 2 trees had snow fleas by them so far. But then we are like 2 weeks ahead of what I think is the normal sap season here. So I expect moths sometime soon.

Clan Delaney
03-11-2010, 11:32 AM
In five years I've never seen these things and this year they're EVERYWHERE! It makes me wonder - insects are much more tuned to climate changes. Perhaps we're seeing more of them because they sensed it warming up earlier than usual. I haven't seen much of the snow fleas(?) though. They get bad towards the end of the season.