PDA

View Full Version : I Need a Frost

SeanD
03-02-2010, 07:14 PM
After averaging over a gallon/tap yesterday, the run dropped to about a half-gallon/tap today. The taps weren't even dripping when I collected tonight. Forty degrees at 8 p.m. and there's not much to show for it. Plenty of moths and black bugs, though. Way too early for this. I need a good frost!

Sean

foursapssyrup
03-02-2010, 07:33 PM
i hear ya. the way i see it is last year at this time we were planning our last boil ( time restraints and such made us do it). this years runs have been medioce to say the best. here's to hoping for some cold nights!!

happy boiling!

maple sapper
03-02-2010, 07:37 PM
The lack of cold nights are annoying me too!!!!!!! Research on vac is already in the works for next year.

morningstarfarm
03-03-2010, 08:45 AM
walked out this morning to feed the horses and saw it snowing lightly....I cant believe I felt like dancing a jig for snow :D looks like it may break open over the weekend :o

mcsap
03-03-2010, 09:59 AM
Still don't have bucket one out yet. Last weekend I bought into the forecast I saw for this week where Monday and Tuesday were supposed to be mid-30's. Probably missed 2 good days as it must have been at least 40 both days. Oh well, will get most of the buckets out tomorrow and be ready for the next good run.

softmaple
03-03-2010, 01:16 PM
Here in Agawam its been a drought. we havnt had a run in about a week. Im ready to give up for the season and if i get some i get some. the valley is too warm. if i make 20 gallons at this point i would be happy. i need higher altitude trees

stoweski
03-03-2010, 05:04 PM
And a few miles outside the Capital of NY I just came in from collecting buckets and found several that were dry. Yet a few miles away, in the Helderbergs, it's running like crazy. Definitely need some lower temps at night!

Revi
03-03-2010, 08:10 PM
Altitude makes a difference. There was about 6 inches of snow up at the sugarhouse, while in town nothing at all fell. There's still about a foot of snow up there, and most of the snow has melted completely.

Our sugarhouse is only about 400 feet higher than our house.

I hope it freezes hard tonight and starts the sap running.

SeanD
03-03-2010, 09:00 PM
The thermometer here has been flirting with 33 degrees for the last couple of hours, but just bumped back up to 34. Snow is falling now, so we're really close. C'mon Jack do your thing!

Sean

red maples
03-04-2010, 10:51 AM
I have been getting very light frosts here in seacoast,NH but its just enough to keep the sap flowing. big sap coming up hold on to your hats.

03weim
03-04-2010, 11:57 AM
we have had little to no sap flow in the last two days, I have been foaming at the mouth to start boiling big runs this year, I hope next week is the start of a some great runs, we made about 1.5 gallons of syrup this year the first gallon was very light almost clear the second batch was a nice amber color

SeanD
03-04-2010, 06:38 PM
Dry day number two just came and went. The forecasts for each of the last couple of nights have been for the upper twenties, but 34 is as low as it has gotten. I'm really praying for a frost tonight because high 40s and 50s are predicted for the weekend. If there's no frost again, they'll just find me dazed and wandering the streets with my collecting buckets.

Sean

03weim
03-05-2010, 08:24 PM
its 930 pm and if my eyes aren't playing tricks on me I think I see frost on my grass

vtsnowedin
03-06-2010, 05:24 AM
14 degrees F. here at sunrise. About a foot and a half of snow left in the woods especially on the north slopes at 1700 ft. The ten day forecast for here gets up to 40 everyday and high twentys each night so if they are right this could be the best week of the season. I hope you valley dwellers got your frost so you can get some big sap.

heus
03-06-2010, 08:07 AM
8 degrees here in NE Ohio last night.

SeanD
03-06-2010, 10:12 AM
Yahooooo! Jack worked his magic and pushed temps into the mid-twenties for most of the night. It's up to 47 right now and everything is running - even a tree that I thought might be dead because it was so dry when I tapped it on Sunday.

Now, if he could just come back for another visit in a night or two.

Sean