PDA

View Full Version : Dark Syrup Maple Candy

backyardsugarer
03-07-2005, 07:46 AM
Can you make maple candy with dark amber or grade b? Just wondering because I have about 2 quarts of it hanging around and I was thinking about making some up but the directions say use light or fancy. Let me know if anyone has tried it and what the taste is like. Thanks.

Chris

Al
03-07-2005, 09:54 AM
I've used dark syrup for candy before and it's fine. The only differance I could tell was the color of the candy is darker which makes since and it's taste is just like a dark syrup taste. It's some good too.

sweetwoodmaple
03-07-2005, 09:56 AM
Yeah, I know maple cream tastes pretty strong with dark syrup.

I've made some and don't really like the flavor (and I like dark syrup normally).

Brian

brookledge
03-07-2005, 11:39 AM
It basicly comes down to the invert sugar in the syrup. Maple Cream is the most finicky. Invert sugar of less than 4% is required. The darker the syrup usually the higher the invert sugar. You can get away with dark syrup sometimes but can be very grainy. If you are making it for your own consumption who cares, but if you are making to sell and someone that knows what cream should be like will not buy from you again. Even light syrup can be high in invert sugar that is why if I have any questions before hand I test for invert sugar.
Keith

saphead
03-07-2005, 11:57 AM
Keith,what method do you use to check the invert sugar% ?

brookledge
03-07-2005, 08:45 PM
I use Clinitest tablets. I bought them from CVS. They may have to order them. When I was at one of Bascom's spring seminars a few years ago I learned how to test the syrup for invert sugar.
Keith

Sugarmaker
10-04-2006, 07:35 PM
Anyone going to the maple candy seminar in Ithaca NY this Fri and Sat?
I would love to go but just to many things to do this weekend, especially if it ever stops raining!
We (our son Adam) finally got our computer working after the hard drive crashed. He put in a external hard drive and a new fan in the power supply. We lost some information that was on the desk top. but did not loose it all! Nice to have someone to keep these things running. As Cheryl and I are just users. Soon he will reload our web page information so I can get it updated. We have many new pictures and things to update.

I canned a half gallon of syrup for one of the folks on the tour last night and sent it out UPS today. Cost to ship with their box was $16.

Also picked up a truck load of pallets from work, heavy ones that will make a couple gallons of syrup.

Wood cutting to be done and thoughts of getting fall chores done.

Not much happening on the trader tonight. Or else I am getting caught up?

Regards,

NH Maplemaker
10-05-2006, 07:27 PM
Chris, US Postal service has a flate rate box that will hold 2- 1/2 gallons jugs nicely and only cost $8 bucks and change!! This box is 11 7/8 X 3 3/8 X 13 5/8 and the box is free at your local post office! They give them to me buy the hand full. Hope this helps :lol:
Maplemaker

Sugarmaker
10-08-2006, 08:09 AM
Maplemaker,
Thanks for the reminder on the flat rate boxes. I don't mail that much and I had forgotten about those. I need to pick some up ahead and then I would be ready.

Regards,
Chris