PDA

View Full Version : what a run killer -

Mike Van
03-02-2010, 05:33 PM
We had the perfect frost this morning, 29F. Bright sunshine, some of the taps are running at 8:00AM, by noon, it's a flood. By 2:00PM, it's clouded over, and even though it's in the 40's, the run has died. I never saw one end that quick. :cry:

wnybassman
03-02-2010, 05:36 PM
That is weird. Mine will usually run hard all night once they get going good after a below freezing night and it stays warm the next night. Was there a big barometric pressure change?

Wanabe1972
03-02-2010, 07:33 PM
I know what your saying. I was in the bush a 8:00 am this morning hanging a new pump line and by 9:00 i could hear running in my tanks. I went and checked it out and there were small trickles from both my main lines running. The sun was out and pretty strong I could feel it on my face. By 11:00 it started to cloud up and the wind picked up from the east. It was just like someone flicked a switch just a few drips. Checked at 8:00pm and had about 30 gallons from 126 taps. We had deep frost here this year due to lack of snow and then 20 inches of snow came in and insulated the ground. well the trees have started to melt the snow around there bases so maybe the end of the week will get better. Im usually done by the 2nd week of april due to my work schedule so it looks like it is going to be a short season for me.:( Maybe I should set up the halfpint beside the 2x8 so I dont have to dump all this sap.

Mike Van
03-03-2010, 05:19 AM
Thanks wanabe - I thought it was just me, some bad mojo, aliens, whatever - :lol: I don't think the pressure dropped much, usually I think that helps it. Last Saturday, wet snow & rain, I had a real good run. Go figure>??

Wanabe1972
03-03-2010, 07:24 AM
Mike, My daughter and I finished tapping in one bush with 126 taps last tuesday while snowing like mad. I thought we may drown before done. Pulled the drill out of the trees and sap shooting out. It was about 35 degrees. Then yesturday had a good freeze and then 43 degress and pulled 20 or so gallons, go figure. Well a little snow is trying to sneak in today and 38 degrees maybe we will get some. The season is going to be short im afraid.