PDA

View Full Version : Season Underway in Addison County

GeneralStark
03-02-2010, 12:12 PM
I tapped last week and have already collected about 65 gallons and expect to get more tonight. Started boiling sunday and expect to have about a gallon + by tonight.

ACollette
03-07-2010, 05:38 AM
Pulled in nearly 70 gallons last night after yesterdays run on 35 taps. My little home made rig is going to have a very busy day boiling that down. We have made just over a gallon of syrup so far with Tuesday and Wednesdays run and the Kids are loving it. Looks like a good year to move into my new rig. Don't know if I will be able to keep up if the weather stays this good.

GeneralStark
03-10-2010, 07:56 AM
We're up to 265 gallons of sap as of yesterday and we should have two more good days of collecting before things slow down.

I have made 2.75 gallons of syrup thus far, lost about 40 gallons of sap to ice forcing a valve off the pipe coming out of the tank to the evaporator, sold 60 gallons of sap, and there is still 35 gallons in the tank to boil. So I estimate that about 130 +/- gallons has been boiled to syrup thus far.

Having fun and learning lots!. I have definitely been bitten by the maple bug.

GeneralStark
03-24-2010, 07:50 AM
I finished boiling the last of my sap last night and am up to almost 5 gallons. The last three quarts were definitely grade b with a very good taste.

The weather the next 5-6 days will be the test to see of the season is over or not. My taps are not dry, but they have not been flowing much since last wednesday.

GeneralStark
03-30-2010, 09:25 AM
I thought the season was wrapping up but I had one of the best runs the last 24 hours of the season. I collected over 40 gallons yesterday which means over a gallon per tap. Several buckets were overflowing, and a few have dried up. I'm interested to see what I have today as it was really gushing when I collected last night.

I think it will be done soon though. Must boil tonight.

GeneralStark
04-01-2010, 12:29 PM
Still collecting and still boiling. About 80 gallons of sap since monday and I have been boiling every evening. The sap is clear, but down to about 2%, and I think I smell a hint of buddyness in the steam. We'll see how it turns out.

I will be pulling taps and cleaning up this weekend. 80 degrees on saturday!:o

GeneralStark
04-05-2010, 08:26 AM
I pulled taps on friday and washed up. Finished the last batch of syrup last night - Grade B. No buddy or off flavor. The last batch of sap from last week's run was only about 1.9%, so boiling was slow.

The stats on the season are as follows:

32 Taps on 30 sugar maples.

Sap -> 475 gallons total 3+ - 1.9%
14.8 gallons/tap

Syrup ->6 Gallons - fancy - grade b
.1875 gallons/tap

Some sap was sold, and some was lost due to a valve issue, so only about 350 gallons were actually boiled.

Considering that this was my first season at this scale, I think this was a pretty good season. Lots of fun and lots was learned.

Now I need to get ready for next season!