PDA

View Full Version : Help with engine size for a milk vacuum

gdtowne
03-02-2010, 11:37 AM
I'm trying to rig up a free to me milk vacuum I'm getting from a farmer friend. I have seen it, and it produces vacuum when the pully is turned, but is lacking the 5 hp electric motor. I intend on taking it off the existing tank, and not using that part of it. My question/problem is: I am going to substiture the missing electric (5 hp) motor, but am not sure what hp gas engine I should use.
I am not sure what the manufacturer it is, the farmer said it was some generic, non-name brand pump. It is a vane pump.

Also, I have no idea what kind of cooling system exists, or how to add one on for the maple industry.

Thanks for any help,
Gerry

michelle32
03-02-2010, 11:55 AM
If you could get a few pics of it from differant angles that would help. Very veg with this description. Motor sze will probably stay the same I would think but not sure.

Bucket Head
03-02-2010, 04:36 PM
A friend of mine runs a SP-22 with a Honda 5.5hp engine. Just remember you have to figure out what diameter pulleys to use for the correct r.p.m. of both the engine and the pump. His pump turns at 400 rpm and the engine is right around 2600 rpm.

Steve

gdtowne
03-03-2010, 08:02 AM
Steve,

Does the sp11 originally run be a 5 hp motor, or something smaller. Also, is that a vane pump. I'm really new to the vacuum world, and still trying to pick up the nuances. Additionally, I had a difficulty pining down an exact rpm that an engine would run at, should it be wide open, idling, or something in between. I realize the rpm would be fairly known at the two extremes, but if you don't want to run it wide open, then how would one know the rpm.

I wish I could post more detail about the pump itself, but I do not have it here in front of me yet. When I get it, I will add an update. Thanks,

Gerry

colt454
03-03-2010, 08:21 AM
we just built one we are using a 10 hp briggs with a 4" on the motor anda 10" on the vac and we can run just above an idol but if the lines are full i can still stall the motor good luck i have enough pullys that i bought to start a store

gdtowne
03-03-2010, 09:45 AM
Would those pulleys be available to the general public? Just figuring I'm going to need to get some from somewhere.

Gerry

NH_Newbie
03-03-2010, 10:55 AM
Ooh! A question I actually know an answer for!

You can find good bargains for electric motors and pulleys at Surplus Center.

https://www.surpluscenter.com

Mark-NH
03-03-2010, 03:01 PM
Just replaced the small pulley on my Honda 5.5 hp that drives an sp-11. Got it through Granger.