PDA

View Full Version : sanatizing taps????

John Burton
03-05-2005, 05:58 AM
alright guys,i had been reading all the previuos posts about using a bleach water mix on taps and tap holes.I first boiled my taps for 20 minutes on my stove.Then i mixed up 10%bleach to water . I then placed my leader tree saver hookless spouts into a clean container and filled it with the mix and capped it. this morning i awoke to taps coated in white bleach smelling cake. needles to say I am reboiling the taps now after wiping them and brushing them down. I am assuming that I must have mixed to strong?so i cut my solution in half 6 ounces in 1 gal .I just am not sure about this and idont want to spray it in the hole only to have it cake up my spouts again.could someone set me straight on this before i learn a hard lessonou in the woods? thanks

themapleking
03-05-2005, 06:13 AM
Dip your drill bit in bleech about every 3rd tap hole. Take a can of air spary blow out the hole. Than spary the hole with distilled water and proxide and spary the spout before insurting it into the hole. Thats all I do.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
03-05-2005, 06:36 AM
post edited

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-06-2005, 02:40 PM
The bleach is also reacting a little with the metal spouts and probably causing some corrosion which is what the white stuff along with the sodium in the bleach.