PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 barrels

mrnohrco
03-01-2010, 07:54 PM
Anyone use half barrels for sap/syrup? I use a 1/4 barrel with valve for finishing / bottling.

KenWP
03-01-2010, 09:30 PM
If you take 2 1/4 barrels off of a barrel how do you use the half left over. Hmmmmmmmm . I have enough trouble finding full barrels let alone cutting the end off of one. I could use a half a barrel for a head tank for the evaporator.

markct
03-01-2010, 09:54 PM
somehow i think he is reffereing to half barrels and quarter barrels as in stainless kegs, but i could be wrong. i use some of them for syrup storage, they wash out easy and all ya gota do is tig weld in a half coupling where the neck used to be

KenWP
03-01-2010, 10:35 PM
I was amazed how easy the SS kegs were to weld. I had one here that I cut up to make a filtering continer with. I could use a couple more of them sometime. Turned out mine is one of the 15 gallon ones but it's all i have to use.

mrnohrco
03-02-2010, 07:45 AM
Ya, SS beer kegs. We're just a small hobby operation. We cut a 12" hole in the top and use them for kettles. Great for home brewing beer. We use the 1/4 barrel for finishing sap. We have a burner stand and a keg with a valve. Filter in and bottle out.
They're not real easy to find, but we can get them. We also make and sell the KegLegs stand, quite popular with brewers.