PDA

View Full Version : Leakage around taps

eastcoasttapper
03-01-2010, 05:22 PM
Another newbie question here. Thanks to all those who offer advice. We really appreciate it.

We have several trees that show signs of wetness beneath the tap. I'm guessing sap is leaking from around the tap. Is it possible to illiminate this? I did tap them in harder, but I'm scared I'll split the tree, and I'm not sure they were not already quite snug in there anyway.

KenWP
03-01-2010, 05:39 PM
They will seal off after a while. A little wet is fine it's when you split the tree and it pours down the tree ticks me off. As the sugar crusts up it seals the tap off.

BryanEx
03-01-2010, 05:45 PM
eastcoasttapper... you're on the right track by not wanting to pound in your taps any tighter. The leaking you describe may be caused by your tap holes not being perfectly round. I had a few leak last year and have just purchased a tapping bit described in THIS THREAD (http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?t=8392) to try and fix the problem. I'll be tapping tomorrow night so will know in short order if the rave reviews are accurate.

maplemaple2020
03-01-2010, 06:32 PM
i have been tapping for awhile and had the same problems well this season i got a bible on making maple syrup so i can prevent this sap leakage well it turns out that you have rounded holes.to prevent this dont go so fast on an electric drill if your using one,2 hold the drill steady i made my oval holes by having the drills on full blast well this year i just make it go slow but not to slow and hlod it tight and i got good holes this year:D not to mention this is my first year doing tubing system i got good holes just in time:D:D:D

wnybassman
03-01-2010, 06:56 PM
I've got a couple more leakers this year than I have had in years past. Ticks me off, but my own fault.

maple flats
03-01-2010, 07:29 PM
Yep, you're rocking the bit. If not using a real tapping bit, get one. They do a much better job in live maple trees. Save the bit exclusively for tapping. Boil it before storage and again before using. Be very careful not to rock while drilling.
A little leak will possibly seal itself over. Do not tap in harder unless a light finger movement on the end moves it.

eastcoasttapper
03-02-2010, 07:40 AM
Thanks so much! And I will look into that bit for next year.

wnybassman
03-02-2010, 05:26 PM
Some of the taps I had leaking the other day have nearly stopped. Still got a couple that are still leaking though. One is still putting decent sap in the bucket and one is putting nearly all the sap down the side of the tree :mad: I tried a couple different things on this one, but still a no go. Oh well, I'll do better next time. I think I was over excited on that one and was trying to drive it through the tree.