PDA

View Full Version : Tapped in Longmeadow

PapaSmiff
03-01-2010, 12:39 PM
I put my taps in early, since we had a February thaw. Got some great early syrup.

This year I made my own taps on the wood lathe. Trying to cut costs wherever I can. They are working great with tubing into 5 gallon buckets.

I saw someone with a few buckets on their trees on Longmeadow Street. They are very big trees with only one tap per tree, so it's probably just a very small hobby for them.

Next year, I'll try to convince all my neighbors to let me tap their trees. But they will probably want me to use the "traditional" buckets.

PapaSmiff
03-04-2010, 12:19 PM
February
Over a 2 week period
Approximately 20 gallons of sap boiled down to about 1/2 gallon of syrup. I don't have a grading kit, but most of it appears to be Medium Amber. I did get one batch (about a pint) that appears to be Light Amber. Haven't tasted it yet.

March
Nothing yet, but hoping for a good week, beginning tomorrow.

wcproctor
03-04-2010, 01:18 PM
A guy I met around town here he uses old arrows from his bow and they work good

softmaple
03-04-2010, 01:21 PM
I got maple grader from 2008 if you want to check your grades it hasnt shifted much. if you want it, its yours.

Mike

PapaSmiff
03-05-2010, 09:26 AM
Mike,

I'll take you up on that. Perhaps I'll stop by this weekend if you are boiling.

You are actually the one that helped me get started with surgaring. I stopped by your shack with my grandson last season. You sold me a few taps and gave me some great advice. Thanks alot. But my wife still thinks I'm nuts!

softmaple
03-05-2010, 10:12 AM
I remember you. we'll be around saturday or sunday midday each day boiling or not. saturday we'll probably go into the bee hives and add some pollen patties to start feeding so the yard will be abuzz then.

PapaSmiff
03-06-2010, 09:41 AM
As of about 10:00 AM, the taps are running at a drop per second. Last night, the temperature dipped to 24F in my area. It's supposed to be in the high 40's today.

Fired up the Turkey Fryer to start on yesterday's sap. I think we will all be very busy this weekend.

PapaSmiff
03-09-2010, 08:04 AM
I had a pretty good sap run this weekend, but poor sugar content. I also lost quite a bit during the filtering process. Will be upgrading to another filtering system next year.

Two runs
Saturday: 9 gallons = 1 1/2 pints syrup
Sunday 13 gallons = 2 pints syrup

Monday was not so good. Only a few gallons of sap. Hoping for a better day today.