PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Cone Filter Stand Pic

valleyman
03-01-2010, 09:32 AM
I made a quick stand to support the cone filter. Didn't glue any joints for easy modification and take down. Forget using the loops. Just attach with small clips/clamps was way easier. It worked well

Frank Ivy
03-01-2010, 12:58 PM
Awesome. I just picked up a cone filter/prefilter set, and I was thinking about how to get it to stand. Thanks for the tip.

mklarenbeek
03-01-2010, 01:25 PM
Given I'm making small batches of syrup and didn't want to fork out cash when I didn't have to, I took a look through my extensive collection of kitchen tools.

I use a tomato juice strainer I picked up at the flea market table of our local steam show. It's far better than the jelly strainer I used the year before and the heavy felt filters fit it to a T although they do stand a little higher. Also the support fits over my five gallon pails like they were made for each other.

mklarenbeek
03-01-2010, 02:07 PM
Here's a picture of my filtering setup for those out there that might not know what an old fashioned tomato juicer looks like. The pestle is only in the picture because it is part of the unit and if anyone should come across such a contraption you'd want all the bits. :)

Christina

Frank Ivy
03-01-2010, 03:26 PM
Here's a picture of my filtering setup for those out there that might not know what an old fashioned tomato juicer looks like. The pestle is only in the picture because it is part of the unit and if anyone should come across such a contraption you'd want all the bits. :)

Christina
Very nice! Good tip, and thanks.

whalems
03-01-2010, 04:07 PM
I have almost rhe same set up as valleyman. only diference is I use bunge cords to hang the filter on the pvc tubing. It is easy to remove filter w/ out having to take the frame apart.

BryanEx
03-01-2010, 05:39 PM
Great idea valleyman and thanks for sharing. Exactly the kind of ideas I was looking for when I fist joined MapleTrader.com. My version ended up being made from left over 1 X 2 wood but still the same idea.

Ewetopia
03-02-2010, 11:26 AM
Excellent Idea.... i'm off to the shop to buil me one.......

wnybassman
03-02-2010, 02:19 PM

Christina

I have that EXACT same set-up!

The Butcher
03-02-2010, 06:58 PM
i use a small tomato cage. I zip tie the filter loops to the top rung. It works great!!!

valleyman
03-02-2010, 08:45 PM
Butcher,
I was going to do the same thing. That was my first idea. Any pics? I may bend one up and see if can make something like that tomato juicer stand. Always looking to improve.

kinalfarm
03-02-2010, 08:55 PM
i just use a very clean tall sap bucket and strench the filter over the top edge and it keeps the syrup hot while its filtering and goes through pretty fast. i did have one with a valve in the bottom but it started to leak and i couldnt fix it so i went wtih one without the valve. the trick is finding a good tall sap bucket but if you can than its easier than a stand

The Butcher
03-02-2010, 08:58 PM
Hey VM,
if you tell me how to post a picture i will be more than happy to....

Thanks!!!

tomslusher
03-02-2010, 09:03 PM
After seeing the first picture of this thread, I set out to make a filter stand.

I used 3/4" pvc electrical 90s (curves) and 3/4 pvc plumbing tees. 8 tees and 8 curves. The top curves were cut about 1 1/2" on each end to make the circle a bit smaller to accommodate the filter. Then I used about 2.5' of 3/4" electrical conduit for the legs. It should work perfect to filter hot sap into my coffee perc.

If I had to buy it all it would be about $12.

thanks,

tomslusher

valleyman
03-03-2010, 09:11 AM
Butchr,

When you reply and type your stuff in the window, look below and you'll see another area "Additional Options" In that section look for "Attach Files" and click on "manage attachments"

A small window will pop up.

Click on "Browse"
Navigate to where your pics are on your computer, select the pic,
Then click "upload"

I try to keep them small in size. If too big you'll get a message saying so. I usually preview the message before submitting. Good Luck. Just let me know if you need any more help.

Greg

valleyman
03-03-2010, 09:13 AM
tomslusher,

Real nice. Smooth lines. I knew you guys would improve on my "clunker" :D

Very Cool.

SilverLeaf
03-03-2010, 10:07 AM
Just curious if any of you fellas have had trouble keeping your syrup hot while you run it through your filter setup like this? I've been thinking of doing an el cheapo solution along these lines, but my worry is that the syrup will cool off too fast and will stop running through the filter.

valleyman
03-03-2010, 10:26 AM
Silverleaf,
I put the syrup in imediately after pulling off the propane and it went through fine. I only used three prefilters inside the thick filter. I pre moistened them each time so they're all moist before sending the syrup through.

green_mt_maple
03-04-2010, 09:01 PM
i used a old milking machine bucket. it has a 8 inch open on the top. so the cone filters work. i also drill and brazed a filting on the side at the bottum to drain it. you can get a new bucket for less than 200 and 25 for the fitting and instaltion. compared to what leader sell there for at 310 i found this is a better deal. and the ss is a lot heavery so it will hold up.

Lazarus
03-06-2010, 11:59 PM
Thought I would jump in here ... below is a pic of what I use.

It is, quite simply, two guitar stands and broomstick slipped through two of the cone filter rings, suspended right under the drawoff on my Mason 3x2. The guitar stands, and therefore the filter, are height-adjustable so I can make allowances depending on how much I'm drawing off, making sure the filter is as deep in the pot as possible.

I filtered today with three prefilters and the cone right off the evaporator. I had no trouble with sap flowing through the filter, though I let it sit over the steam for a while first. I reheated the syrup and sent it through two pre-filters and the cone again before bottling (after rinsing the cone in hot water and blotting out all the excess). Clear syrup all around.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m282/bloodspoint/Maple%20syrup/FilterStand.jpg

Mason 3x2 Evaporator

PapaSmiff
03-07-2010, 01:08 PM
Lazarus,
Doesn't it make your guitars "sticky"?

Lazarus
03-07-2010, 08:49 PM
Well. it would, except all the stands were replaced by wall hangers long ago:

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m282/bloodspoint/Gear%20Pics%20and%20Chuck/b957e6e9.jpg

Finally found a use for all those things, so at least some are no longer a pile of evil twisted metal laying in wait to spill off the storage shelves and attack every time we opened the closet.

eastcoasttapper
02-22-2014, 03:38 PM
Valleyman Do you still have a photo of your cone filter stand? I can't get it to load with link in this post.
Thanks

mnguy
02-22-2014, 07:33 PM
Just curious if any of you fellas have had trouble keeping your syrup hot while you run it through your filter setup like this? I've been thinking of doing an el cheapo solution along these lines, but my worry is that the syrup will cool off too fast and will stop running through the filter.

I have a stand similar to the PVC one. I built a styrofoam box for around mine. Once I pour the syrup into filter I set a cover on top of it and it filters good.

Lethalbowman
02-23-2014, 04:56 PM
like the idea of the PVC stand and love the use of the old coffee pot. I think I will need to check out the local Goodwill and Salvation Army stores for one of those.

hodorskib
02-23-2014, 08:35 PM
Filtering has always been the hardest part of making quality syrup. A few years ago we came up with a system were we use a 5 gallon plastic pail and a 1 gallon pail. Here is a link to how it is put together. https://sites.google.com/site/mattatuckmadnessmaplesyrup/home/filter-tank
It works well for batches of 3 gallons or less.

asknupp
02-23-2014, 08:50 PM
I really like that seeing as how I have a bunch of buckets that I could spare for something like that.

Green Hill Maple
10-14-2014, 05:48 PM
Bryan X What are the dimensions of the filter stand?

Ragged View
10-14-2014, 07:57 PM
Do you draw off directly into the double bucket unit?
Thanks,
Mark

hodorskib
10-28-2014, 08:53 PM
You could draw directly into the double bucket filter. We batch boil and pick the pan and set it on top of a wheelbarrow and then draw directly into the filter setup. It is the perfect height and with the spigot near the handles of the wheelbarrow gravity allows it to run right out of the pan.

FoxHill
11-23-2014, 12:14 PM
For those using a coffee urn.... Do the urns run at two temps to brew and then keep coffee warm? If so how does one use the urns to maintain proper temp to receive hot filtered syrup for bottling out the urn spout?

psparr
11-23-2014, 01:12 PM
I put about two inches of water in the urn and turn it on. Let it heat up with the cone filter above steaming. And when the light comes on ( it switches to the lower temp) without unplugging it, dump the water and quickly set my bucket filter setup on top, and pour in the syrup. Cover it and bottle as it's filtering.

FoxHill
11-23-2014, 03:43 PM
^^^^thanks so much!