PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using atv with tracks?

maple marc
02-28-2010, 10:20 PM
Now I have an appreciation for what you guys up north deal with. Here in Ohio we still have so much snow that I can't get to some of my trees. My atv can't handle it. No snowmobile, either. I've been reading about track systems for atvs. They look fantastic, supposedly go better in deep snow than a snowmobile. I could also use them to groom cross country ski trails. However, they are an expensive add-on. Anyone out there using them? What brand, how much maintenance?

Marc

Fred Henderson
03-01-2010, 05:18 AM
I got a set on a Kubota RTV, Hardly no maint at all. We are tapping this week. Mine are made by Soucy from Canada but you can not use them on an ATV they are to heavy.

highroadsyrup
03-01-2010, 08:09 AM
A friend of mine lets me use his on a mountain I tap. Works really well!!! Polaris tracks, no maintence to this point but someday will probably need to replace the sliders. You just go until you get stuck and then back up and try it again :) I think he told me they cost 3500-4000.

BryanEx
03-01-2010, 06:22 PM
How does the steering work if you stick tracks on an ATV? On a snowmobile the track and skies are independent of each other. Just wondering because I've never seen this set up before (but I'm also not an ATV owner either).

foursapssyrup
03-01-2010, 06:27 PM
as much as i love ( and want ) a set of these tracks, i think the cost is too much. to me it would be better to have a snowmobile for the snow, and an atv for the other seasons. they do work very well in terrain other than snow (such as mud and soft sand) but the rocks beat them up a lot.

BryanEx
03-01-2010, 06:40 PM
Never mind... just Googled it. A track system replaces each wheel for a total of four track systems. I was picturing tracks around front and back wheels.

Wanabe1972
03-01-2010, 08:54 PM
Ive got two cushman tracksters that are awsome year around. They are a little rough on the lawn in the summer but we just had 20 inches of snow and they just drag the belly a bit and keep on going. These are a little hard to find and when you do they are asking as much $ for them now as new in the early 70s. A buddy of mine has a polaris 6 wheel atv with tracks on the rear and skis on the front and its pretty impressive but nowhere as manuverable as the cushman. The cushman has two hydrostats to steer so it will turn 360 degrees without moving and inch.