PDA

View Full Version : A sad sad day in the sugarbush

morningstarfarm
02-28-2010, 08:20 AM
just got power back after being black since Thursday. Unfortunately, while we made out ok, my sugarbush wasn't so lucky. Lost about 20-25 old friends that I wont be tapping again. Spent the last 2 days re-running all my tubing and trying to find tanks and buckets....I' have never seen anything like that before
:mad: :cry:

Frank Ivy
02-28-2010, 08:22 AM
Sorry to hear that. Long time without power.

KenWP
02-28-2010, 08:26 AM
What happened did you get the wind like we did. Tore the roof off the greenhouse on me. Those trees that got damaged are they broken off or torn out. The broken off ones will still run sap . I tapped one here last year that did okay but ith ad broken off in the early winter so it didn't pour sap out the top still.

Mac_Muz
02-28-2010, 08:39 AM
If these trees are down then it's over. If the tops are broke off, then you may as well leave the taps in if you can. The ice storm in the mid 90's broke the tops off some trees here I use now. Next year and for a few more years, you might want to skip the broken top trees, but they can and do recover.

I find some damage that a tree can reciver from, can make such a tree produce sap better. I do use caution and tap a single tap on a tree that might other wise take 2 or 3 taps though.

1poorsap
02-28-2010, 10:19 AM
were hoping we have power back for monday. lost about a dozen trees and the woods look like a battlefield. luckily all the lines are back up after a couple days.

morningstarfarm
02-28-2010, 11:38 AM
most of them were pulled out by the roots..half the bush was under 1-2 ft of water..if i had used buckets i'd have needed a canoe to collect..

maple sapper
02-28-2010, 01:23 PM
Sorry for your loss. My flag is at half staff in your honor. I lost 6 pines along the property line which I am so happy about (on another note). Some creative cutting and moving and got the lines back up and in postion. May the sap flow again. Now we need some weather to make it work.

Dill
02-28-2010, 10:11 PM
Its amazing what a couple of miles did in this storm. My parent's place in Lee got hit hard. Amazingly enough I didn't lose 1 maple tree in Northwood or Lee.
Lots of pine down in Lee. Somehow all of the steers lived. There where 2 35inch plus pine trees that came down on one paddock destroying one shelter and just missing another calf hutch. Its been a crazy few days. We just got power back to most of Northwood, this storm really took me by surprise. Never expect a hurricane in Feb.

burburner
03-04-2010, 06:54 PM
sounds like our ice storm december '08 here in new ipswich. no power for 12 days and tree tops gone. I swore after that storm I was done and was ready to sell and move on, but a great friend showed up unannounced one saturday in january and got my *** out there. I'm grateful to him. We reduced taps after digging out mainlines and re-stringing all my lines. 35 pickup truck loads, 11 sixteen ft trailer loads of limbs to the burn pile at the dump and brand new sap lines strung nice and tight and the bush is sweet. tapped on snowshoes this week and the sap's gushin' out of the hole while pulling out the drill bit. trees seem to be recuperating. don't give up hope.