PDA

View Full Version : started to day

boneheadben
02-27-2010, 05:10 PM
hi everybody, my name is ben, this my 1st post but ive been registered for almost a year. i am the 4rth generation to work at my great uncles 80-100 acre bush. some of the trees have probly been tapped for 100 years. the farm was bought in 1914. it is on the southside of east aurora new york at elevation of about 1100 ft. the tubing and two pump houses were installed in 1984 and alot of that original tubing is still being used.:confused: dont ask me why im not in charge of money. as for how many taps, when tubing was installed there was 9500 to 10 000 but im guessing that there is now only 7500? maybe. the ro we have is also 25 plus years old and still getting ur done. the evap is a 6 by 21 ? leader also 25 plus atleast the arch is the pans are newr.
the sugarhouse is the 3rd one built here, just outgrew the other two. in the glory days of the sugarhouse according to my mother, there used to be busloads of kids every throughout the season. and now we dont do that but alot of those kids now adults still come every year and even sum of there parents that still are around. so anyways i started tapping this afternoon in the heavy wet snow with 1ft 1/2 or more in the woods. its going to be slow tapping this year. this is 1st time in more than 6 years we will not make any in feb. thats the way it goes i guess. may everyone have a safe and happy productive season.

danno
02-28-2010, 07:51 AM
Welcome to the Trader Ben! 6x21 - now that's an evaporator!

Dropflue
02-28-2010, 08:16 AM
Ben,
I'm not that far from you. We are on Jamison Road in Elma.

boneheadben
02-28-2010, 08:46 PM
hey drop flu i actually live on four rod road near liberia rd i work for a crop farm over here. small world i guess

boneheadben
03-01-2010, 06:40 PM
Welcome to the Trader Ben! 6x21 - now that's an evaporator! danno, yea its big, and its all open, the whole thing doesnt get used, before my time it did with three pans, but then the ro was added so they went to a 6 by 10 flue and a 6 by 6 flat pan i think and rest is a steel plate covering. also a fan was added to the fire box with wood saving grates.