PDA

View Full Version : sap hydrometer and rust

Greenthumb
03-03-2005, 10:09 AM
I noticed that my sap hydroemeter has some rust in the bottom and I can't get it off. will it change the reading at all or can I still use it?
thanks

mapleman3
03-03-2005, 10:52 AM
I would get a new one they are cheap enough... if there is rust that means moisture got in and the bottom of the hydrometer has heavy metal in it. I would think that the moisture / rust would change the weight of the hydrometer and of course your readings.

Greenthumb
03-03-2005, 12:55 PM
the cup for the hydrometer has rust not the hydrometer. will that change the readings with rust in the cup

sorry

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-03-2005, 01:08 PM
It shouldn't change the readings much, but you should be able to clean it out. They make little round wire brushes and with something like that you should be able to clean it out and polish it up good. Do need to clean it up so bits of the rust is not getting into the syrup and also affecting the flavor. :D Either that or go to a local fabricating shop and they could probably make you a good stainless one for around $ 15.

Also could sandblast it out! :idea:

sweetwoodmaple
03-03-2005, 01:17 PM
A tip on stainless in general...make sure any wire brushes used are stainless as well.

We make stainless tanks where I work, and this drove us crazy. We wondered why our tanks were rusting at the seams and then found out our fab guys were using standard steel brushes to clean the welds. It puts carbon on the surface, which contaminates the protective oxide layer and causes it to rust.

Brian

syrupmaker
03-03-2005, 01:22 PM
Greenthumb......twist a piece of steel wool up in a hanger and put in in a drill. Roto-rooter style, clean it up quick.

Rick