PDA

View Full Version : Winding Down

Goggleeye
02-26-2010, 10:19 PM
Things are starting to slow down here in SE Missouri. Most of the taps I set in mid-January have dried up, and the ones from the end of Jan are still producing, but an average of about 1/2 to 3/4 gallon per day the last 2 days (lows in 20's, highs in 40's). I'd imagine next weekend I'll be pulling my taps and cleaning up all the equipment for storage until fall.

I plan on tapping box elders and maybe a few silvers this fall, our place is absolutely loaded with both. I just don't like that 1% sugar number, so I haven't even touched them in the spring run. Any thoughts on box elders? silvers? fall tapping?

3rdgen.maple
02-26-2010, 11:35 PM
Fall tapping was a flop for me this year. Weather did not cooperate at all. Just don't tap the same trees in the spring.

KenWP
02-27-2010, 08:14 AM
Box elders run good when they run. Mine actually out produce any other kind of maple becasue they run well and make up for low sugar which is 1.7%. They are not much less then the other trees actually. My silvers are huge trees and only one ever produces well for some reason. Fall tapping only works when you get some cold nights. Which does happen here but I tap all the trees close to the house so would have to go far afeild for more.