PDA

View Full Version : its official

maplekid
02-26-2010, 07:51 PM
i will be tapping tomarrow!!. by the looks of the ground and the big hole i dug the frost is out. the 40 taps i put in the other day were dripping good despite it bieng 30 degrees out, the pipline will be tapped monday i have the tees coming and have to install and tap. the total tap count should be around 200 or close to it. i hope this season pans out (no pun intended). everyone in the county is tapped and even seen some steam flying from a sugarhouse today!. good luck to everyone and keep us ohioans posted on how the saesons going... nate

Grizz747
02-26-2010, 08:54 PM
I am also tapping tomorrow. The weather was brutal today, but things look good for later in the week. Besides that my schedule tomorrow is wide open. I'll be putting out 50 taps with drop lines to plastic buckets.

heus
02-26-2010, 09:19 PM
Hope to actually be drawing off syrup tomorrow. I tapped last Saturday. Sweetened the pans Mon, Tues, and Wed nights. Sugar content only around 1.8% though.

maplehound
02-27-2010, 08:15 AM
From what I see on the weather and with all the snow around here I think next weekend is the best I can hope for. Today the neighbor said he would plow out the path to the woods for me. then we need to clean the evaporator and wash off the tanks that are buried in the snow.
Lots of work to do this week and I also have collage classes to deal with.

Buckeye mapler
02-27-2010, 09:50 AM
I finished my 3rd gallon last night. Kind of dark, probably a dark amber, haven't graded it yet, but I would say dark amber just by the looks of it. Going to boil down another 75 gallons tonight.

Jeffery G.
02-27-2010, 10:40 AM
I am tapping tomorrow, regardless. I have help coming, and can't wait any longer. It looks like a warmup coming next week, so may the big sap run!

jasonhudgins
02-27-2010, 01:01 PM
I'm just south of Dayton, in Bellbrook, and I'm tapping today, weather be ****ed. I only have 3 sugar maples in my yard, I've never tried this before, but it sounded fun, so wish me luck.

maplehound
02-27-2010, 01:58 PM
Neighbor plowed me a path to the woods. Gee I wish I had a tractor like that!! He used a John Deere 7800 to plow it. However, they are calling for up to 6" more of this awful white stuff tonight and tomorrow, then more on tues. I feel like giving up on the year. WE also tried to clean the sugar house up today but when it came to running the power washer, there wasn't any place for the water to go. We use a french drain type system all around the sugarhouse but with the heavy snow piled around and the ice under that snow, there is just no place for the water to go. Hopefully by nest weekend we can do something out there.

archangel_cpj
02-27-2010, 08:04 PM
I went out and plowed out our woods today I have an AC 7040 with a 8 foot blade the trick is to go backwards with it.....

Sugarbear
02-28-2010, 09:40 AM
I put about 100 up yesterdaySap was running some..Going to do some more this afternoon.The weather report says 39 on fri and 42 on sat.

archangel_cpj
02-28-2010, 11:40 AM
yep this is the week to go probably be 60 next week and trees bud out LOL!!!!

Sugarbear
02-28-2010, 03:43 PM
Thats what I was thinking strarting late like this.One big run and its over! I've seen it happen before but I hope not this year.