PDA

View Full Version : what is vac pump oil?

markct
02-26-2010, 07:21 PM
i have an old montgomery ward dairy vac pump that i am going to hook up. sucks vac great after soaking in diesel for 2 days. what should i use for oil in it? one of the old timers i work with says they always just used light oil like atf or hyd oil, or 30 wt in the summer. can i do this or should i go buy vac pump oil? just wondered your opinions

Brad
02-26-2010, 07:48 PM
I used air compressor oil in mine. bought it at tractor supply. works good so far..

themapleking
02-26-2010, 08:43 PM
use vacume pump oil. Tractor supply has it $10 gal. Its made just for all vac pumps piston and vain type. Doesn't foam or sluge up and made for cold weather starts, extended run hrs. 30 wt will burn up your pump. Play it safe its cheeper in the long run

Haynes Forest Products
02-26-2010, 08:49 PM
It all depends on the type of pump if its a steel vane on a cast iron housing it really doesnt matter as long as you dont use cutting oil.........only kidding even that would work. You do want something that will lube the bearings and the cast housing. I have 30wht, bar oil, trans oil, 10w 50, and 5 gallons of red dot, Did I mentioned that it really doesnt matter. What ever will keep it lubed and then cool. Is that an oiler on the side or a fuel filter off a tractor

markct
02-26-2010, 09:27 PM
yea it appears to be some sorta oil resivoir, i dont know much about the pump and cant find any info on it. the only thing i found was a picture of one in a newspaper ad from 1944 for the sears modern milking system installed in your barn for $166.50 ! it seems that when ya fill the oil from the top it then sorta holds some extra in the little "tractor fuel bowl" on the side. i will get some from tsc and see how it works, didnt see it when i was there yesterday, but maybe its somewhere other than with the motor and hyd oils

michelle32
02-26-2010, 09:41 PM
If it's like the TSC here you will have to order it. Not all of them carry it.