PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Barrel storage- freeze issues?

Pete S
02-26-2010, 05:53 PM
Hello!

I JUST got home from scoring several food grade CLEAN barrels.

I intend to use one in the loader bucket to gather sap as opposed to hand hauling via buckets all the way back home. (those of you who have done or do this know it's a pain!)

Anyway, instead of using open top containers to "store" I thought I could manifold two of these barrels together, or side by side,.............laid on thier sides and install a spout.

Our open top containers FREEZE purty good in the past, but we're able to work with that.

SO,...if I use these barrels as storage containers, laid on their sides,.............when they freeze, will the bottom still be open to at least drain out the unfrozen sap?

Thawing methods?

Was thinking about a valve right at the bung(s).

Thanks!

Pete

Bucket Head
02-26-2010, 10:58 PM
I think you'll have a heck of a time getting sap out when they freeze. We use open barrels too and when they freeze we hatchet a hole in the ice and suck the sap out. You would have to bore a hole in the ice through one of the bungs to get to the sap. Not that it can't be done, but it will be a pain. Then you'll have to wait until all the ice melts and drain it before you can reuse that barrel. It just seems like a lot of trouble when we get those cold snaps and everything freezes.

Steve