PDA

View Full Version : Using drums with soda syrup

Brian Ledoux
02-26-2010, 12:49 PM
Hello,
I was very worried about the end result of my first ever batch on my new evaporator becuase I bought a couple cheap used drums to store my sap in. The drums had previously had orange sunkist soda syrup in them. I washed them severap times, with bleach, and baking soda and then rinsed with straight water. Smell never left, BUT I am very happy to report, first batch of syrup had ZERO off flavor and tasted amazing!! I could not find any conclusive threads here about using a drum like this. I would guess other soda drums would be the same deal. Wash them, they may still smell, but doesn't mean it will give off flavor to syrup. Hope this helps. -brian

Father & Son
02-26-2010, 01:15 PM
By what alot of people on here say they have used all kinds of containers that have stored things from soda syrup to pickles. They have been cleaned well but have remaining odors. As long as it is on the cold side of the process (sap) reports have been OK but it's a no no to hot pack in them. That is when the smell/flavor leaches out. I myself use cage tanks (that have had soda syrup) and 55 gallon plastic barrels (that had juice concentrate) to store sap in with no problems.

Jim

Stickey
02-27-2010, 07:25 AM
I got some that had Dr pepper, for sap storage. I have washed them profusely and the smell is still there. Glad to know this will not affect finished product. Thank you.

michelle32
02-27-2010, 07:30 AM
Sticky howd you make out with storm damage over there.

Stickey
02-27-2010, 03:39 PM
Quite a mess. Been cleaning up for customers and then right on to plowing. Hope to tap a few tomorrow. Got our electricity back (after four hours of fighting the generator) Don't forget to drain carburetor bowls . The fire wood I'm collecting is a gift, as I was getting low.