PDA

View Full Version : 0-7 thermometer calibrating

Buckeye mapler
02-26-2010, 12:12 PM
I am just wanting to make sure I am doing this right. I put the thermometer in the water when it is boiling, the needle makes a full turn and then I use the adjustment screw to calibrate it to zero. Or do I calibrate it to zero the second it starts to boil?

Bradenfish
02-26-2010, 12:17 PM
Calibrate it to zero in stirred boiling water, after it goes around once.

johnallin
02-26-2010, 03:20 PM
I have mine in the side wall of the pan.

For the first boil - no sweet yet as it boils higher than water- I watch as it rotates around to the zero mark. Most of the time it's right on once the sap is boiling, it not I do the adjustment thing. From there on out I just use it as a guide to tell me when I'm close to syrup. The hydrometer is the key from here on in.

I find that if I've got syrup at 219° one day, it may be 220° the next and so one, just be ready to take a draw when it's at the 219 mark and test it. If its light; put it back if its heavy draw earlier next time the temp climbs.

Hurry Hill Farm
02-26-2010, 10:31 PM
I assume you fellows are talking about the thermometer that goes horizontally into the finish pan right? near the draw off. I never calibrate it and use it only as a guide to when it is near syrup - noting the temp when the sap begins to boil and then adding 7. BECAUSE...... the probe sits way to close to the bottom of the pan and is not consistent because sugar sand builds up under the probe the more you boil. Use your eyes AND a hydrometer.

Regards,

Hurry Hill Farm
Edinboro PA