PDA

View Full Version : maple drinks

The Butcher
02-25-2010, 08:30 PM
I know that I have heard people mixing maple syrup with whiskey, but....

What are some other maple adult beverage favorites out there???

Enough with the rain and wind!!!!

Bemis
02-25-2010, 08:37 PM
Great topic. This one caught my eye.

__________________________________________________ ______________

The Maple Leaf

2 oz Bourbon
½ oz Maple Syrup
½ oz Lemon Juice

Shake and strain into a cocktail glass filled with crush ice. Drink on a porch with an old dog.

__________________________________________________ ______________

I got the bourbon, porch, and old dog. Now I just need some sugaring weather.

maple ridge tappers
02-25-2010, 08:44 PM
I have not tried this one yet, but an older friend of my makes Old Fashions with maple syrup. Just substitute the cherry juice with maple syrup (2oz.) add a shot of whiskey, or brandy, your preference, and top it off with sweet or sour of your choice.

thenewguy
02-25-2010, 08:51 PM
shot of captin morgan amber spiced run and syrup hot syrup right out of the evaporator. takes the chill out of your day

wnybassman
02-25-2010, 09:26 PM
I tried a Saranac Maple Porter a month or so ago. Not sure if real maple syrup was in them or not, and I did try four of them just to make sure I didn't like them :lol: but I would rather not have one ever again.

paul
02-25-2010, 09:28 PM
equal parts kaluha, maple syrup & milk in a blender filled with ice blend it up and taste a maple mud slide.

mapleack
02-25-2010, 10:02 PM
I've mixed maple and vodka, pretty good. Last year at maplerama I got some of the Sapling brand maple liquor. Now that stuff could get me in trouble fast, it was amazing on the rocks.

maple marc
02-26-2010, 01:56 PM
Maple Syrup Daquiri

Into a rocks glass full of ice, add:

Juice of one lime
Shot of dark rum (do it right--make it with Myers's)
Some water, with or without bubbles
Enough maple syrup to sweeten to taste
Stir, garnish with a wedge of lime

Oh boy...what time is it?

Brokermike
02-26-2010, 07:53 PM
some new vt company has a Maple Liquour called "sapling" it is wicked good on ice cream and on ice, but a few of them and its wobbly outside

maplwrks
02-27-2010, 05:45 AM
Sapling and maple syrup---mix it 50/50 ooooooooohhhhhhhhhh BABY!!!

innoxen
02-28-2010, 05:39 PM
mmm... no idea what I am doing but I am doing something... Gonna take some of my almost maple syrup mix her up with some brown sugar, throw in some white sugar, ( just cuz ) add some yeast, a pinch of cinnamon, rack it a few times during the next couple of months... Ok am I off my rocker or on to something?? Let me know, thanks...

Dill
03-01-2010, 10:29 AM
I have 2 batches of hard cider bubbling away in the basement, one with syrup instead of sugar added. I'll let you know how it turns out.

SGFarm
03-01-2010, 12:32 PM
To keep the chill off while boiling I scoop a cupful of boiling sap a sppon of instant coffee and some bailey's.

Keep watching that boil for hours

There is a micro brewery here in Ottawa that does a special brew in the spring each year replacing the water with sap for a maple beer.

http://www.heritagebrewing.com/seasonal.html

It is quite good.

KenWP
03-01-2010, 05:31 PM
I have a batch of maple wine working in the basement also. It takes while to make but so far she who must be obeyed says it's not to bad tasteing when we siphoned it the other day. Neat golden color.

KenWP
03-01-2010, 05:34 PM
mmm... no idea what I am doing but I am doing something... Gonna take some of my almost maple syrup mix her up with some brown sugar, throw in some white sugar, ( just cuz ) add some yeast, a pinch of cinnamon, rack it a few times during the next couple of months... Ok am I off my rocker or on to something?? Let me know, thanks...

Don't have to use the other sugars to make wine. The maple syrup has plenty of sugar as it is. 3 1/2 pounds maple syrup will make a gallon of wine.

bearair
03-01-2010, 07:51 PM
Saw this recentally, I haven't tried it yet but sounded good enough to save it

1 1/2 oz gin
1oz lemon juce
1/2 oz maple syrup
1/2 oz cassis

Mix in Shaker then poor over crushed ice*
Pore in to an old fashon glass
Drizzle cassis on top*
Should look like a sunset

red maples
03-01-2010, 08:59 PM
One of our local wineries ...Flag Hill in Lee, NH makes a nice maple liquer and I have the "Maple Boiler" I like it sweet!!!

1 oz Maple Liquer
1/2 oz white creme de cocoa
1/2 dark or grade B syrup

mix pour over ice and just try to sip ..nope can't do it.

Dave Puhl
03-05-2010, 08:01 PM
Yukon Blizzard....1/2 - full shot of Yukon Jack... a shot Maple Syrup and a scoop of vanilla ice cream strir well...or not...

Jeffery G.
03-08-2010, 06:53 AM
Sugarhouse coffee:

1 mug of coffee (made with fresh sap of course)
2 oz Black Velvet
Sweet from pan to taste

Best cup of coffee around!

Gary in NH
03-16-2011, 01:28 PM
Here is link to some Northeast maple adult beverage producers and a few drink recipes:

http://www.tasteoftheseacoast.com/Spirited-Tastes/the-spirit-of-new-england.html
(http://www.tasteoftheseacoast.com/Spirited-Tastes/the-spirit-of-new-england.html)

talahi maple products
03-16-2011, 01:44 PM
I tried to make, for the first time this year, some hard apple cider with maple syrup,dried mangos & raisins, ended up pretty nasty, but of course I only drank the 1st 2 gallons so far. maybe the 2nd 2 gallons will be better:rolleyes:

valleyman
03-16-2011, 02:45 PM
http://www.drinkrecipeseeker.com/tag/maple-syrup

Some of these sound good!

Toblerone
03-16-2011, 03:04 PM
I just made a maple frappuccino and it's pretty good:

3/4 cup strong coffee (cold)
1 cup milk
1/3 cup Grade B maple syrup
2 cups ice

blend well

Z/MAN
03-16-2011, 10:50 PM
to keep the chill off while boiling i scoop a cupful of boiling sap a sppon of instant coffee and some bailey's.

Keep watching that boil for hours

there is a micro brewery here in ottawa that does a special brew in the spring each year replacing the water with sap for a maple beer.

it is quite good.

I just tapped a keg of homebrew that I made with sap instead of water. Very good!!!!!!!!!!!

Old School
03-25-2011, 06:31 PM
OK, not an"adult" drink, but take a gallon of boiled sap 10-15% sugar, add 1/10 teaspoon champagne yeast(or maybe any other kind of yeast?), stir well, pour into bottles and let sit at room temp for 2-3 days to carbonate.

I got the idea from a home root beer concentrate. I'm sure it makes a trace amount of alcohol, but it's a small amount of yeast and doesn't sit for too long. Kept my kids from drinking Coke tonight! Got them asleep early too...:o

On a more intersting note: We have 22 gallons of Maple wine started! 12 gallons of dry, 5 of semisweet and 5 gal sparkling(carbonated, big people maple pop:)

Also want to try some Maple beer recipes, but four primaries are tied up right now!!

adk1
03-25-2011, 06:34 PM
I ahve a great recipe for a maple steamer..IF anyone is interested.

Kev
03-25-2011, 06:43 PM
OK, not an"adult" drink, but take a gallon of boiled sap 10-15% sugar, add 1/10 teaspoon champagne yeast(or maybe any other kind of yeast?), stir well, pour into bottles and let sit at room temp for 2-3 days to carbonate.

I got the idea from a home root beer concentrate. I'm sure it makes a trace amount of alcohol, but it's a small amount of yeast and doesn't sit for too long. Kept my kids from drinking Coke tonight! Got them asleep early too...:o

On a more intersting note: We have 22 gallons of Maple wine started! 12 gallons of dry, 5 of semisweet and 5 gal sparkling(carbonated, big people maple pop:)

Also want to try some Maple beer recipes, but four primaries are tied up right now!!

for the wine do you concentrate to the 10-15 percent?
A friend wanted to try it a few years ago. so I gave him some sweet sap. he claimed it was a failure and I never saw the results (still think he drank it all:D)
did I probably give him too sweet of stuff?

On the ledge
03-25-2011, 06:53 PM
Marscapone and maple syrup sweeten to taste, great fruit dip or if your looking for sweet serve with graham crackers.

Old School
03-26-2011, 07:44 AM
I started with a specific gravity of 1.090, which I think relates to 22% on the brix scale(@ 60deg). It's basicaly 1/3 of the way to syrup. You should add yeast nutrient along with the yeast to help it get going. The complex sugar takes a LONG time for the yeast to break down, like all good things- patience is a virtue!

Deerhill Maple
04-05-2011, 03:15 PM
We've started a tradition. When we draw off a batch of syrup we put some aside (depends on how many people are there) and mix coconut rum (Malibu or Parrot Bay) with the warm syrup. About 1/3 rum to 2/3 syrup in shot glasses (this also depends on who is pouring...). Yum!

CBOYER
04-05-2011, 04:12 PM
First year whit new Cabane a sucre, everyone that came to visit have a hot middle pan syrup whit Havana Club rum shot, and of course i have to cheers whit them every times..:D

KenWP
04-05-2011, 06:28 PM
I must be weird or something.I don't drink.Guess I am not a real sugarmaker. Owell. being pure is hard to maintain.

40to1
04-05-2011, 08:50 PM
I just tapped a keg of homebrew that I made with sap instead of water. Very good!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't care for hard liquor, but I love beer.
Beer made from sap is an interesting idea....

Hmmm, gotta look into that.

maple marc
04-06-2011, 08:28 PM
We've been enjoying this lately:

Maple Leaf Cocktail (from the Wall Street Journal)

Shake together with ice
1 shot Canadian Whiskey
3/4 oz maple syrup
3/4 oz lemon juice

Serve over ice with a cinnamon stick.

sugarin' in the hood
04-20-2011, 12:26 PM
We made some cocktails that were pretty tasty although there was not much for measuring it consisted of: vanilla vodka, syrup, seltzer and ice. It was maply smooth.

NH/Pete
04-20-2011, 02:13 PM
I ahve a great recipe for a maple steamer..IF anyone is interested.

Interested.

DrTimPerkins
04-20-2011, 04:11 PM
Two shots of Bombay Sapphire gin in a short glass with ice, and one ounce of maple syrup in another.

Drink the ice cold gin, save the syrup for pancakes the next morning. :)

Actually, I've had just about every type of commercial maple alcohol drink I've come across. Let's just say that some are far better than others. Two favorites (so far) are:

Sapling Liquer http://www.saplingliqueur.com
Green Mountain Organic Maple Liqueur (hard to find, website under construction)

LawnMowerMan
05-26-2011, 09:41 PM
Ok I have to post this since it turned out so good and i did not see anyone else make it, we took 1 gallon grade b added 750ml bourbon whiskey, then boiled back down to syrup, bottled it up for our own use and called it our XXX blend....lol This stuff rocks on deserts, nice strong bourbon flavor and no alcohol content so safe for the pancakes too! the smell is WAY stronger than the taste on the finished product.

Our first desert, a browny with vanilla ice cream on top drizzled with bourbon syrup........

Not that some alcohol would not be fine at 7am....but well you know...;)

lastwoodsman
05-27-2011, 06:20 AM
Kincaids in Minneapolis had one one their menu very similar to this.

maple martini

Ingredients for each cocktail

- 125 ml (1/2 cup) ice

- 60 ml (2 oz.) vodka

- 10 ml (2 tsp.) white vermouth

- 10 ml (2 tsp.) maple syrup

Method

1.Shake all the ingredients together vigorously in a cocktail shaker.
2.Pour into a martini glass.
3.Garnish with a green grape on a cocktail pick.

Woodsman

Helicopter Seeds
04-07-2015, 08:35 PM
I read an old book about the 'colonial times' and the describe a drink called "Flip".
Take tablespoon of sugar, add some rum, and stir with red hot poker from the fire. Drink it up.
Drink too many, it will make you 'flip'. Pretty sure it mentioned substituting maple syrup or sugar.

Me - I added half boiled hot sapwater to a doubleshot of peaty scotch, McClellans. It was surprisingly very drinkable. Ok, who is fooling who, nobody was surprised. Not even after the third glass.

Finest Kind
04-07-2015, 08:49 PM
We tried these babies a couple of years ago. Excellent cocktail...

Noreaster

1 ½ ounces bourbon
½ ounce fresh lime juice
½ ounce pure maple syrup
1 ounce ginger beer or ginger ale
Lime wheel for garnish
Combine bourbon, lime juice and maple syrup in a mixing glass.
Add ice and shake vigorously.
Strain into a rocks glass filled with ice and top with ginger beer. Garnish with a lime wheel.

Galena
04-08-2015, 05:50 PM
There is a micro brewery here in Ottawa that does a special brew in the spring each year replacing the water with sap for a maple beer.

Ooh thanks, want to go check it out!

A friend of mine works at Upper Canada Village, told me about a nice little Maple Fizz (non-alcoholic), which is maple syrup combined with soda water. Haven't tried it yet but now that I have lots of syrup, plan to put aside a 2l jar for experimentation purposes ;-)

Butch
04-08-2015, 06:34 PM
We claim that we have found the WMDs (Whiskey Maple Drinks):

Equal parts Black Velvet (whatever) and "nearup" - the hotter the better and the "nearer" the better, but serve it in a nice glass!

Mel
05-22-2015, 03:09 PM
Sortilege on the rocks is a great after dinner drink. Smooooth.

Urban Sugarmaker
05-23-2015, 03:00 PM
I tried a Saranac Maple Porter a month or so ago. Not sure if real maple syrup was in them or not, and I did try four of them just to make sure I didn't like them :lol: but I would rather not have one ever again.

I don't care for it either. The Labatt Maple beer is worse. It seems like whenever brewers try to make a maple beer it always tastes like the artificial maple flavors used in fake maple syrup. I hate that flavor.

littleTapper
09-23-2015, 07:37 PM
Not finding it mentioned yet, but I poured some maple syrup into my root beer float tonight and it was **** good. Will do that again.

maple maniac65
09-24-2015, 06:40 AM
Not finding it mentioned yet, but I poured some maple syrup into my root beer float tonight and it was **** good. Will do that again.

try it in Coney Island Root beer (not for children)

littleTapper
12-29-2015, 07:54 PM
Got addicted to my version of maplenog over the holidays. Sorry, boring cooked non-alcoholic version. You can not cook it and throw in 3oz bourbon at the end if you'd like :) I don't trust eggs when I don't own the chickens.

Ingredients:

4 egg yolks

1 pint whole milk

1 cup heavy cream

Somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 cup maple syrup. Right in the middle is good.

1 teaspoon nutmeg

Directions:

In decent-sized bowl, beat egg yolks and mix in maple syrup.

In saucepan, heat milk, cream and nutmeg just to a boil. Remove from heat and slowly mix it into the the egg/maple syrup mixture. Return mix to pot and heat to 160 degrees.

Remove from heat. Pour into bowl. Chill. Consume way too rapidly.