PDA

View Full Version : Smelly Filters

Amber Gold
02-25-2010, 08:06 PM
I took my synthetic and prefilter flat filters out and they smelled kind of leak spoiled milk. We washed them on the temp. boost cycle and they still smelled. Washed them again with some detergent and some still smell worse than others. My wife did find a small mouse nest in the bag.

Can these be saved? Can I wash them in something else...maybe bleach?

Bemis
02-25-2010, 08:12 PM
Rinse them with Diesel then ocean spray..... I just couldn't resist. Sorry

caseyssugarshack93
02-25-2010, 08:20 PM
well i think there pretty much shot if u washed them all with detergent,? or even in the washer, unless the washer was brand new and never had soap in it

GET A NEW SET OF FILTERS, I WOULDNT CHANCE IT!

3rdgen.maple
02-25-2010, 08:22 PM
Funny stuff Bemis. Amber I would not take the chance and light the fire with them. Your choice obviously but is it worth taking a chance of ruining some syrup?

KenWP
02-25-2010, 08:24 PM
One thing you can try is that soap for hunting cloths. No scent. Also soak them in bleach or frebreeze. If they are hatched no harm in trying different things. They cost way to much to give up. Was it a food safe mouse nest.

Haynes Forest Products
02-25-2010, 10:57 PM
If I was to suggest that I was using my 99 year old Grandfathers underware to filter syrup that I washed in a brand new washing machine you would report me. But its ok to try and wash out mouse piss with uncented Frebreeze. Im starting to think we need to get mandatory licenseing:lol: :lol: :mad:

KenWP
02-26-2010, 05:48 AM
If I was to suggest that I was using my 99 year old Grandfathers underware to filter syrup that I washed in a brand new washing machine you would report me. But its ok to try and wash out mouse piss with uncented Frebreeze. Im starting to think we need to get mandatory licenseing:lol: :lol: :mad:

But are they food safe. Thats the big guestion.

Amber Gold
02-26-2010, 06:27 AM
That's what I figured, thought I'd throw it out there. I wonder if the smell is from using milk as defoamer?? I don't use much so I wouldn't think so.

I don't think the mice were there very long because there were no feces in the bag and the filters are not stained.

Hurry Hill Farm
02-26-2010, 10:44 PM
Throw them out - those filters. Get some new ones and just take better care of them!! They can last many, many years. I've had the same ones 15 years.

Hurry Hill Farm
Edinboro PA

Haynes Forest Products
02-27-2010, 12:49 AM
I stored all the things mice like to eat, live in or crap on in 5 gallon buckets with snap on lids . They stay nice and clean.

dgp219
02-27-2010, 01:28 AM
The very first syrup I ever made I used filters lent to me that had little mold spots that I did not notice when the were dry. The syrup smelled like sweaty socks!:cry: :cry: :cry:
Throw Them Out! For what new filters-prefilters cost, don't throw your time and effort away on iffy filter, or find a market for spoiled milk flavored syrup!

trackerguy
02-27-2010, 07:11 AM
Yup, toss 'em, don't waste any more thought on it, minor expense. Boil the next set at the end of the year, hang to dry, then store in a safe, dry place away from rodents and smelly items.

Mud Island Maple
02-27-2010, 07:50 AM
Don't even consider using them.We stored some nice felts that had been used only one year and were perfectly good when we put them away but made the mistake of storing them in an airtight plastic bag. When we took them out to use the next year they looked ok except for some very minor mold discoloration. We washed them thoroughly in plain water and hung them on the clothesline for days where they got rained on and dried in the sun. We couldn't smell any odor at all but when we made our first syrup we were amazed that it tasted noticeably moldy. Now we store them in paper bags in a dry place and no more problems.