PDA

View Full Version : Buckets Stuck Together

wnybassman
02-25-2010, 02:39 PM
Anybody have any tips for keeping aluminum buckets from sticking together during storage? Seems like every year I wrestle with a few of them getting them apart. I try not to put them together very tight when stacking.

Dill
02-25-2010, 02:50 PM
Lay them on their side up in the rafters. Its a pain to get them up there, but it keeps them from settling too much and frees up floor space.

ebourassa
02-25-2010, 03:32 PM
someone i knew use to use wax paper, i think he would cut 12"x12" sheets and put them in the buckets so they wouldnt stick together. hope this helps
Erik

argohauler
02-25-2010, 07:10 PM
Laying them on their side is a good idea.

Another thing is there are a couple different styles of aluminum buckets and I have them both. One is very smooth and the other has horizontal lines or ridges. They are a bugger to get apart. I just bought some yesterday and they are mixed together. (crosses fingers)

KenWP
02-25-2010, 07:26 PM
I have some that they cleaned to much with a brush and they are hard to get apart. If it only a few dip the bottom one in hot water and they slide off easy. To stop them from sticking run a bar of sealing wax around the inside them as you stack and they come apart easy and it's food grade. I had trouble buying any at D&G last time as we had to pick and choose to get enough apart in the store.

lpakiz
02-25-2010, 07:30 PM
If you have access to an air compressor, just use the blow gun and direct a stream between the two pails. As soon as the pail lifts a 1/4 inch, the air force dissapates--no danger of violence or explosion

3rdgen.maple
02-25-2010, 08:06 PM
All you need to do is put a small piece of board in there or some cardbord. Put it in the bottom then stack them together. If you get the thickness right they do not bind as they are sitting on the little peice of board. I just kept scraps of pine from a building project and hacked them up to 2 inches peices.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-25-2010, 08:46 PM
Make sure they are completely dry when you put them together. Any moisture will make them seal more. A rubber mallet or claw hammer works good to knock them apart by lightly tapping on the rims. They get dents and lip bends easily, so they don't fit together as good as they should and the distortions cause them to stick together even more.

Haynes Forest Products
02-25-2010, 10:49 PM
Dang it lpakiz I was using compressed air but I was drilling a hole in the bottom:mad:

KenWP
02-26-2010, 05:55 AM
Make sure it's food safe blocks of wood and food safe air from a food safe air comppresor. . Haynes did you drill the holes with a food safe drill and bit also.

wnybassman
02-26-2010, 09:58 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I already do store them on their sides, but maybe a bit of cardboard or something between them also.

lpakiz
02-26-2010, 09:33 PM
Haynes,
I bet you have never had a bucket run over since you started that little trick?

Haynes Forest Products
02-27-2010, 12:57 AM
All my buckets have been stored for the last 12 years. TRhe ones without holes:) The buckets that I have there is a handle with brackets so they dont get stuck. They also have the red and green strip so you can keep track of the ones you dumped that day.