PDA

View Full Version : Rusty Buckets?

Tim in NY
02-25-2010, 02:27 PM
I want to try to make a bit of syrup this year, but have no equipment. A neighbor has some buckets that are "a bit rusty" on the inside, and "quite rusty" on the outside. He'll sell these for $3 with a lid. I can get decent ones for $5, but not close to home.

Can I safely use the rusty ones? Can they be cleaned at all to make them more useable? I'm only looking at 15 or so.

Thanks,

Tim

Frank Ivy
02-25-2010, 02:53 PM
Rusty on the inside? And out?

I'd say just get some used aluminum buckets with lids. For 15, you're talking, maybe 30 bucks more, plus 10-20 in shipping. So that's 50 bucks, but they'll never rust, and you'll have them for the rest of your life if you take care of them. I got 15 this year from Atkinson in Canada (2 gallon) and I'm very happy with them.

wnybassman
02-25-2010, 02:59 PM
I just received 15 more buckets from Elsie today :)

Buckets on Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/15-Maple-Syrup-Sap-Bucket-Aluminum-BUCKETS-Tin-L-K_W0QQitemZ250586130227QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Defau ltDomain_0?hash=item3a5818e733)

Dill
02-25-2010, 03:06 PM
This is going to get me hung by the food police here. But you can use them with some rust on the inside. You can run a wire brush around it and get what'll flake off, but I don't see rusty colored sap etc after its been rinsed. 3 a set seems high make him a counter, and make sure they don't leak.

Tim in NY
02-25-2010, 04:34 PM
Thank you for the replies.

The way its snowing right now, I don't know that I will be climbing around snow banks to tap any trees, let alone empty any buckets, rusty or aluminum! 6" so far on top of the 6" old stuff we had, and maybe another 10" tonight.

Again, thanks!

Tim

Frank Ivy
02-25-2010, 08:09 PM
FWIW - I have no issue with rust with regard to food - it's just iron oxide. The bigger issue is cleanliness, lifespan, and appearance. Something about a rusty old, crapped out bucket hanging from my beautiful tree wouldn't sit right with me.

red maples
03-01-2010, 02:41 PM
rust no problem as long as its just a little it won't hurt anybody.

KenWP
03-01-2010, 05:07 PM
Rust is good for you they say. $3 is a lot for rusty buckets but what do the lids look like they run a bit of money also. I tried to find a bunch of those empty 5 liter beer cans as they look neat hanging on a tree.

Brian Ledoux
03-01-2010, 11:27 PM
I bought 45 old buckets from a farmer a few towns over from me. Some were rusty and needed lots of scrubbing with steel wool. Some, though, looked fine but ended up having leaks! Not sure how many buckets you are planning to have but washing 45 old rusty buckets was a hassle I now regret.

New buckets aren't cheap, but I found out that they sell used aluminum buckets at places like agway. One agway had buckets for $10 each, the other next to where I live had them for $6 each. If I had to do it again I would get all aluminum buckets. They stack better, are easier to clean, and seem like they will last longer and without rust. I tasted the

I tasted the farmers syrup that he made with the rusty buckets and even rustier taps and it tasted amazing!

Russell Lampron
03-02-2010, 06:10 AM
When sap sits in a rusty bucket for awhile it will discolor the sap. I would try to find some of the older Leader, King, Small Brothers or Wheeling buckets. They are galvanized not tin and won't rust unless the galvanizing is gone. Get the bigger ones, they hold 16 quarts so that they you won't have as many overflow on a good run.

Frank Ivy
03-02-2010, 08:40 AM
One agway had buckets for $10 each, the other next to where I live had them for $6 each. If I had to do it again I would get all aluminum buckets.

Used aluminum buckets are usually available online for about 4 bucks a 2 gallon bucket and 2 bucks for a galvanized lid, plus shipping.

Aluminum - never rusts, and corrodes very slowly.

3rdgen.maple
03-02-2010, 10:56 PM
Bascoms. Used aluminum buckets are like 3.25 a pop.