PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning big tanks

caseyssugarshack93
02-25-2010, 11:54 AM
Im wondering how you bigger guys clean your big tanks that are in the woods and stay in the woods year around,? i have a big galvy tank in the woods and im wonering how or IF you guys even clean them, i was thinking maybe bring some water on one of my truck tanks and then washing it with that but i dont have a drain on my tank to drain it after, Anyideas?

Thanks

Buffalo Creek Sugar Camp
02-25-2010, 12:20 PM
I have a small 2-cycle gas pump that has a garden hose for a discharge. I haul water to the tank I need to clean and hook up the small pump and garden hose, and brush them out. It makes the job a lot easier.

caseyssugarshack93
02-25-2010, 12:25 PM
Thanks, Thats what i was thinking of doing too, that is what ill be doing acually,Thanks again,

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-25-2010, 08:50 PM
I take a 32 or 36 ounce hand spray bottle and spray the inside of each tank with condensate and add a couple of ounces of bleach to the bottle. After spraying the entire inside of the tank with a good mist, I turn them upside down and let it all run out. I use the high output spray bottles and try to wash out all of my tanks and buckets every week. I have 7 big tanks and a few small tanks and about 15 buckets.

PerryW
02-25-2010, 09:11 PM
to clean my 600 gal ss. milk tank ...

I fill up two of the 5 gal blue syrup drums with hot water. I dump about 1/2 of one of the drums in the tank and dump in a few glugs of unscented chlorox. Using a sponge mop, I wash the tank and drain it. Then I use the remaining water to rinse three times.

jdj
02-26-2010, 12:17 AM
Any ideas for cleaning a 4400 gal CDL/Maplepro round bottom stainless tank, 7.5x16x6? I have to find a brush with a long handle somewhere, anyone know of a place to find one?

Thompson's Tree Farm
02-26-2010, 06:00 AM
Try a dairy supply store and ask for a bulk tank brush. Four or five foot handle. You may want a step stool to move around the tank as you scrub it.

ennismaple
02-26-2010, 12:35 PM
We throw 5 gallons of hot water into our Zero tanks and 1500 gallon open top tanks and slop it around with a mop. We then rinse with another 5 gallons of hot water. At the start of the season we get right into them to give 'em a good scrubbing.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-26-2010, 12:37 PM
Any ideas for cleaning a 4400 gal CDL/Maplepro round bottom stainless tank, 7.5x16x6? I have to find a brush with a long handle somewhere, anyone know of a place to find one?

If tank is strong enough to support you, why not have a clean paper of rubber overshoes or rubber boots for tank cleaning only and get inside the tank and clean the inside.

markct
02-26-2010, 07:25 PM
i sure hope it would support the weight of even the fattest sugarmakers, 4400 gals of sap is about 35,000 lbs!

Haynes Forest Products
02-26-2010, 09:02 PM
Didnt Cassy say he doesnt have a drain in the tank??? So here goes bring hot water in the haul tank to the sap tank transfer the hot water to the sap tank wash tank then shoot hole in the bottom of the sap tank. Call KenW to come fix tank.:o

KenWP
02-26-2010, 10:32 PM
Man I am sure glad people are aware of my tank fixing abilites. I am sure I can fix a little itty bitty hole. How the hell do you get the sap out of it if it has no hole.

Moonlitemaple
02-26-2010, 10:56 PM
I would use caution when using clorox in a galvinized tank it will rust and leak. I use saved pre-heater water and a brush after I empty the sap out. As for draining it, we just tip our tanks over if need be pump them out and wipe out the rest with a towel or shamy for drying off your car, " they work great".

Haynes Forest Products
02-27-2010, 12:47 AM
I wash my tanks with sap. At the start of the season I let the sap fill about 3" in the bottom and get out the food grade broom and brush and scrub it clean. Then open the valve and chase it with clean water. Do that every few days and they stay nice and clean.

jdj
02-27-2010, 03:22 AM
i sure hope it would support the weight of even the fattest sugarmakers, 4400 gals of sap is about 35,000 lbs!

You have to remeber though, all the weight from sap is spread out over the entire sqaure footage of the tank(7.5x16x6). When I bought the tank from CDL/MaplePro I was told if I got inside the tank to only step where the ribs are, which are about 4 foot apart so not too handy.

It looks like some kind of big brush with a fairly long handle.

michiganfarmer
03-19-2010, 03:09 PM
it doesnt seem to matter how I wash my plastic tanks after the season. I always have red scaley stuf in them when I go get them next spring

maple flats
03-19-2010, 06:22 PM
My ss tanks I wash every couple of days with same water and a little hydrogen peroxide. I use a dairy tank brush, rinse and it's good to go. For my plastic tanks I do the same but on my 3 bigger ones I can't turn them over to drain, so I use my sap pump to suck them down. Try the peroxide, I never have ant red scally stuff the next season. It does require brushing with the bulk tank brush though..