PDA

View Full Version : Forced draft

jeffb
03-02-2005, 08:05 AM
I recently built a Arch and 3 section flat pan, the Arch is 24" x 48" with a 6" flue, the pan is 24" x 32". I want to add a blower to increase the boil. Any recommendations on where to enter the air into the fire box? I do not want to do the pipe/duct with holes. There is really no room on the front of the Arch to mount a intake. I beleive I have read where you can induct it in the back of the fire box, however, since my flue outlet is in the back does this not mess with the draft up out the stack??

I need advise.....Thanks,

Jeff

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-02-2005, 08:14 AM
Jeff,

You can check out my website as it has some pics where my blower is mounted. The pics are under the preheater section and down next to the bottom of the section. :D

jeffb
03-02-2005, 09:04 AM
Thanks Brandon,

Since my Arch is basically a rectangle box ( simular to a leader half pint ) I dont see putting the blower in the back right under the stack would work. Yours is a raised flue and your entering the air into the fire box.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-02-2005, 11:27 AM
Jeff,

Actually my evaporator is a drop flue but there is not much difference between a raised and drop flue in arch design. What you could do and what would probably work best is to mount the blower on the back of the arch under the stack and then run a duct from the blower up to the back edge of the grates. Might be a little extra work and expense, but would probably be about the only thing you could do if you didn't want to mount it on the front. You could possibly mount it on the side, but I don't think it would be to good of an idea as you would be blowing the heat sideways to a certain extent and it would be in the way! :?

jeffb
03-02-2005, 12:18 PM
Brandon,

Being the beginner and dummy I am, I dont know the differance between a raised flue and a dropped flue????????? Hope I did not offend you? Anyway, when you say run a duct from the back to the rear edge of the grates do you mean run the duct through the rear end of the fire box (internally) and blow it at the back of the fire grates?

mapleman3
03-02-2005, 01:58 PM
anyway you can get some 4" flexible aluminum duct from lowes or something, put your blower off to the side and still blow in the front? that way you only have a little bit in your way? I think from the sound of the way your arch is built you would have to pull it all apart, put a metal duct in the bottom of your arch from back to front to under your grates... not directly under so the ash falls on it, then you'll have to cover the duct with sand or something to protect it and seperate it from your flue area under the pan... sounds confusing ... I would go in through front.

jeffb
03-02-2005, 02:37 PM
Actually this air induction was a afterthought, if I only had known before I drew and built the puppy I would have done something different. I can get in there and put a duct from the back to the grates but it is already fire bricked up etc. and there aint enough room on the front below the door to mount the blower and still have enough acess to clean out and stoke the ashes.

I did build in slide gate air vents on each side of the fire box twords the front and down low below the grates for air. The blower I picked up is a varriable speed dual squirrel cage unit with the motor between the cages. I guess I will duct each squirrel cage to the side vents. After reading somewhere about mounting units in the back I just thought that would be a whole lot less trouble. After looking at Brandons unit I now understand how mounting on the back of his style unit would work.

Thanks for everyones advise.

Jeff

B

syrupmaker
03-02-2005, 03:47 PM
Jeffb.....take a look at Maplemans web site under sugarhouse from New England area and look at our manifold set up. Goes through the draft holes in the front,off set enough to allow fireing with out haveing to move. Maybe something that that would work out for you also.

Rick