View Full Version : Should I tap now or wait?

Chris W
02-24-2010, 09:38 PM
I'm between Lansing and Jackson. Weather forecast doesn't show temps above 40 until Friday March 5. Should I wait until then to tap or should I already be tapping? This is my first year.

Thanks in advance.

Ausable
02-25-2010, 03:50 AM
Hi Chris - I usually put about 55 taps in and have 25 in at present and only about 4 gallons of sap so far - the weather part is always a guessing game and as a "Back Yarder" I'm willing to gamble on it. I'll probably tap the rest of them today if I get a chance - although it is really going to be too cold for sap. The Big Guys or Commercial Producers in my area usually wait until about 01 March - but - they are in business and trying to make money and take it all very serious. One year I tapped in mid-February and it became very cold and some my holes dried up and had to be retapped once it warmed up. But - In late February "Cabin Fever" can become a problem and it gets me outside and busy at something I enjoy. Also - my family appreciates the free maple syrup and that makes it worthwhile for me.
Good Luck this year and have Fun ----- Mike

ehausinfrats
02-25-2010, 06:23 AM
I live in jackson. I put out 137 taps on Saturday and Sunday I got 70 gallons.
Last night I got 60 gal. Looks like this weekend and Monday will be good days also.
eric

LawnMowerMan
02-25-2010, 09:36 AM
I put out 5 taps last Thursday only 3 ran much at all but out of those 3 i got 20 gallons in 5 days. Looks like early next week, temps upper 30's and lows low 20's. At least that is in my area on the west side of the state.

michigansugarman
02-25-2010, 03:49 PM
We put out 50 - 60 taps in the Grand Rapids area. We haven't tapped yet, but are planning on tapping this weekend. Weather next week looks to be 20's at night and mid to upper 30's with some sun during the day. Hoping for some good sap runs.

shane hickey
02-25-2010, 05:26 PM
Hey chris I live in vermontville and I am in Maple Valley Schools Discrict. If you get a chance I would be tapping tomarrow there will be a warm spell this weekend and I dont think that you will want to miss it I started last wensday, but I have over 7800 taps it took a while but we finish up today. WE boiled last night and got 32 gallons. Good luck Chris I remember my first year which was 3 years ago I started with 250 taps and had someone else boil for me. It was a blast now I do this for a living and I am 26 years old.

BoarsNest
02-25-2010, 08:55 PM
We put out 50 - 60 taps in the Grand Rapids area. We haven't tapped yet, but are planning on tapping this weekend. Weather next week looks to be 20's at night and mid to upper 30's with some sun during the day. Hoping for some good sap runs.

Good luck Jeff, thanks for letting us look at your setup. We are almost ready too. Hopefully after this weekend we have our taps in and the arch has had a test boil. Needless to say we are excited to get started.

Chris W
02-25-2010, 09:08 PM
Thanks everyone. I am SUPER stoked to get this kicked off and I plan to tap this weekend. The wife and I were at Foods For Living tonight and I saw a pint of the sweet stuff from a local supplier at $11.99 / pint. We just smiled knowing we'll have more than enough of our own this year.

michigansugarman
02-26-2010, 08:38 AM
Good luck Jeff, thanks for letting us look at your setup. We are almost ready too. Hopefully after this weekend we have our taps in and the arch has had a test boil. Needless to say we are excited to get started.

Thanks, Bob. Good luck to you, too! I looked at your pics and your rig and setup look awesome. You accomplished a lot in a short time! Happy sugaring.

Chris W
02-26-2010, 12:48 PM
Hey chris I live in vermontville and I am in Maple Valley Schools Discrict. If you get a chance I would be tapping tomarrow there will be a warm spell this weekend and I dont think that you will want to miss it I started last wensday, but I have over 7800 taps it took a while but we finish up today. WE boiled last night and got 32 gallons. Good luck Chris I remember my first year which was 3 years ago I started with 250 taps and had someone else boil for me. It was a blast now I do this for a living and I am 26 years old.

Shane that's one serious operation you have going, congrats. How big of a sugar bush does one need to have 7800 taps?

shane hickey
02-26-2010, 01:00 PM
hey chris the building is 24 x 60 with two 5x16 evaporators and each evaporator has a steem away. I was looking for an R O but my costomers say that they can taste the difference and they wouldn't buy my syrup if I had an RO.I can hold 17000 gallons of sap though I dont like doing that. But they sure do eat a lot of wood (2 guys full time piching wood) I have a 6000 gallon milk truck to gather the tanks on the side of the road. Have any questions please ask, I will admint I dont know everything but I am the 5th generation My dad has taught me a lot he used to have 18000 taps, he now works at jackson prison