PDA

View Full Version : surge milker pails

elmcreekmaple
02-24-2010, 02:41 PM
If a guy were able to get his hands on some of these for a reasonable price, what could be the best potential use for them?

Could you use it for a boiling pan?

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
02-24-2010, 03:13 PM
get the lid for it and milk cows

elmcreekmaple
02-24-2010, 03:18 PM
get the lid for it and milk cows

that is an option except that I am willing to buy my milk, but not willing to buy my syrup

markcasper
02-24-2010, 03:22 PM
OgDEN, You know how to put things in perspective!

TF Maple
02-24-2010, 04:03 PM
I milked cows with those years ago, if I remember correctly the stainless is rather thick so the heat transfer would not be the greatest. But if you didn't have anything better to use and they were cheap, you could certainly use them for that.

KenWP
02-24-2010, 04:18 PM
I had one of those and kick myself for giving it away. Would work great for storage as you could weld a top on it. I forget how deep they are but if you can get a few for cheap you could cut a couple and make a deeper container also. All depends on the price and your skill level or frustration level.

gmcooper
02-24-2010, 04:49 PM
I knew one guy used one for a draw off pail.

farmall h
02-24-2010, 05:11 PM
I have 3 of these. We milked with them for 15 years before switching to the Delaval milk pail. Anyway, we draw off into them and place the cover on to keep the syrup warm. Have Delaval pails as well...went to pipeline milking 12 years ago. Rather heavy when full of syrup!!:)

Dan W
02-24-2010, 05:50 PM
The guy I bought my evaporator from told me he draws off into Firestone milk cans then finishes from there. Those things are big bucks!! Anyway, I bought three of those surge milkers and 2 delaval milk buckets for cheap. They all hold 5 gallons and figured I could use them for draw off and such. They are all very thick and heavy stainless; I don't think they would work very well to boil in.

Father & Son
02-25-2010, 04:06 AM
I picked up six of them at a farm auction 3 or 4 years ago with the intention of using one to make an old style paddle cream machine. Just one more undone project.

Jim

Dill
02-25-2010, 08:59 AM
I use a deleval pail for a drawoff. Its amazing how insulated they are. Pop a lid on and its still hot the next morning. Also I use a surge strainer/funnel for my gathering tank. Not sure the exact name, but it used when you'd dump directly into the bulk tank. It fits nicely into the truck tank, and I've put a layer of screen in there to strain the sap. Works pretty well.

Hurry Hill Farm
02-25-2010, 09:49 AM
Surge milkers make good pans for cream machines. Cut the top off, make some stationary ss paddles (make them wide enough), find an adgitator from a Dairycool and set up a direct drive. Works great. Put handles on it too. You can also cook your syrup for cream in it. As for boiling in, it might be a problem because the bottom is not flat but slightly rounded up. Heating it up will make it more rounded AND since the edges are slightly lower, the heavier sap (near syrup) would go to the edges and potentially burn quicker. Might be worth a try though - you could take it to near "syrup" and then transfer to something with a good flat bottom. The milkers are durable.

Hurry Hill
Edinboro PA