PDA

View Full Version : canadian tapping bits

jordy95
02-24-2010, 12:22 PM
do I need to have the canadian type tapping bits or can I just use a wood style drill bite. thank

buxtonboiler
02-24-2010, 01:13 PM
I got some 5/16 wood auger bits at lowes for about $10.00, and they work fine. I have a few sugaring friends that even use standard metal bits and have no problems. Don't see spending extra money on a bit just because it says "maple" on it.

KenWP
02-24-2010, 04:43 PM
Buy a standard metal bit that has a fast twist on it and a shaper point. I found one made by Vermont Tools and it works great. If you look at the Canadain bit which is only that in the US it has a shaper point and fast twist. For some it's probbably handier to buy one from the Maple guys then to search for one cheaper. A good metal bit in 7/16 will run you close to 10 bucks anyways. The 19/64 bits are cheaper due to size. I use a good quality one of those also as the cheap one I tried just didn't cut the maple.

Gerryfamily5
02-24-2010, 04:45 PM
I finally broke down and spent the extra for the canadian bits and all I have to say is WOW!I had no idea there could be that much of a difference.If you are only drilling less than a hundred taps probably not worth it, but I have 1500 holes and it made a big difference.Battery lasted longer so did my arm.Just my thoughts.LOL.

BryanEx
02-24-2010, 04:50 PM
Huh... I'm Canadian and didn't realize there was such a thing as a "Canadian bit". Based on previous posts I'm guessing it has more aggressive fluting... or just works in both French and English drills?

gmcooper
02-24-2010, 04:55 PM
I back up what Ashley says. They work very well! Drill a nice neat hole quick and clean. They are designed to not tear thru the wood but cut it. The goal is to leave a hole so the sap can flow out of the wood fiber as easily as possible. A dull or improper bit will get you a hole but it will likely mash the fibers and possibly burn the wood.
Well worth the investment.
Mark

KenWP
02-24-2010, 06:31 PM
Far as I can tell it's one of those fast flute drills D&G sells. The T coated one is $17:95 plus tax. Thats why I broke down and used one of my expensive bits as the cheap ones are hard on the drill. I tried a brace and bit and gave up as it just wouldn't make nice holes.

markct
02-24-2010, 07:33 PM
I finally broke down and spent the extra for the canadian bits and all I have to say is WOW!I had no idea there could be that much of a difference.If you are only drilling less than a hundred taps probably not worth it, but I have 1500 holes and it made a big difference.Battery lasted longer so did my arm.Just my thoughts.LOL.

i laughed at the 21 dollar drill bit too, then this year as the tap count neared 500 i said what the heck its a small price to pay if it makes a little difference, and wow what a difference! drills without any pressure and clears chips like a dream! the spiral is fast, but unlike fast spiral metal bits the web is thinner and the cutting edge on the flutes is a sharper angle, they realy surprised me how much better they drill

jordy95
02-24-2010, 07:38 PM
will they give me more sap

Z/MAN
02-24-2010, 10:11 PM
I bought one this year also and I agree with WOW! These cut like nothing I have ever used before.It drills a fast and clean hole. When I took it out of the bag I was amazed at how sharp the flutes are. I think it is worth the money.
Paul

halladaymaple
02-25-2010, 06:55 AM
Giday eh!

yes these bits are well worth the cost. the tap holes are clean and free of "tap clogging" debris from the old drill bits. I have noticed improved sap flow. They cut as opposed to tear through wood. The clean cut also makes a great seal on the vacuum to the hole, thus limiting or eliminating vacuum loss at the tap hole. It will be the best $20 you ever spent. that's a canadian point of view.

happy mapleing boys!
Darrell

Go TEAM Canada

Dill
02-25-2010, 08:12 AM
I'm as cheap as they come. Almost everything in my operation is used or adapted. But I'm a believer in these bits, they are so sharp its scary. And yes I get 2.5 times the holes in the same 14.4 charge. The 5/16 bit is great the 7/16 bit is almost too aggressive, its hard to stop for bucket taps, but it makes a nice round hole. Which is an advantage the longer your drill the more chance your going to make an oval.

BryanEx
03-07-2010, 10:11 AM
I bought one for this season based solely on this discussion... thumbs up! I agree with what everyone else has already posted. One question I do have is on the titanium coating, does it rust or corrode in some other way? Just want to make sure it's properly stored after cleaning so it's still like new next year. I'm not sure about the characteristics of Titanium other than it's really hard stuff.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-07-2010, 01:46 PM
I have 2 of them, one is a brand new spare I hope I never need and the other one just finished it's fourth season yesterday and aprox 2200 holes later, just like new. Never had any problems with rust but I store them in a plastic organizer drawer in the off season.

I am cheap too, but that is the best $ 20 I ever spent in mapling.

KenWP
03-07-2010, 02:10 PM
I guess I have to go south and buy a Canadain tapping bit. We don't have them here it looks like. Do they cut into the tree better. The best one I have seems to rip a hole before it starts to cut and makes a ragged hole on me.

Fishgill
03-07-2010, 05:47 PM
I bought one and I thought it worked great. They are a little pricey at $21.00. But It left a nice clean hole. If I can get a few seasons use out of it it'll be worth it.

Maple Restoration
03-07-2010, 05:50 PM
We have had our bits for 4 years now and they are still sharp.

maple flats
03-07-2010, 06:01 PM
I held out for 3 or 4 years but then tried one I picked up at the Verona Maple Conf. one January, Now I keep 2 spares just in case. They work better after two seasons than a regular one does brand new. The only reason I keep 2 spares is because I lose things. I have been using the same two since either 06 or 07 and both still cut real well. The spares are just good insurance. Need 2 just in case someone says they'd help if I only had a second drill and bit (I keep 3 drills and 4 batteries charged). With these bits a battery lasts longer than I do.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-07-2010, 08:42 PM
I had one fall out of the drill one time. Was able to somehow find it and ever since then, I take electrical tape and tape it up good to the keyless chuck on the drill. Gives me good peace of mind and never had a problem since 4 years ago when I first used it.

H. Walker
03-07-2010, 09:55 PM
I guess I have to go south and buy a Canadain tapping bit. We don't have them here it looks like. Do they cut into the tree better. The best one I have seems to rip a hole before it starts to cut and makes a ragged hole on me.

Ken they're in all of the equipment catalogues. For example in the D & G catalogue pg. 22 item # H. The only thing is that here in Canada they don't call them Canadian bits, that would be redundant!!

orser506
03-16-2010, 04:11 PM
of one manufac.
Green field Industries
470 old evans rd
Evans , Georgia

Part # 52149-1
They wouldn't sell them to me so i got my local ind supplier to order them in. They weren't quite the same for some reason .Didn't cut as good. Maybe someone else will have better luck.

the specs are 19/64 90deg point 3 flats 7/8" long

One suggestion if you have a clutch on your drills is bto use em. They are flimsy bits but cut like crazy. I hate giving them out to rookies
I use a ryobi 18 v with lithium batteries and 1 battery does me 4 to 5 hours ... if it ain't too fricking cold.