PDA

View Full Version : Cone Filter Question/Help...

Foss
02-24-2010, 09:28 AM
I have a question about filtering... I'm currently running about 25 taps, and we end up about 1-2 gallons per batch of syrup, give or take. I started using a cone filter with the paper pre-filters. Everything works great, but the problem is it seems to take forever.

Are there any better options? I have a synthetic cone filter now. Is wool faster? Are other styles any faster? Any other tips?

Any help or input is greatly appreciated...

Oh- also my first post here. Great wealth of knowledge on this forum- I've learned an awful lot just reading through the posts- Here's to wishing everyone a great season!

Goggleeye
02-24-2010, 09:44 AM
I had the same problem. Check out the thread "Finishing/Filtering as a Batch" in "Bottling and Filtering and bulk storage of your syrup"

Oh, and welcome to the trader. I'm in year 2 and don't know where I'd be without the trader.

Foss
02-24-2010, 09:45 AM
Thanks for the quick response- I will read through that.

MapleME
02-24-2010, 12:24 PM
Foss, I think we all feel your pain. I used the cone for a few years, orlon and felt. I agree it takes forever and in my case the syrup seemed to cool way before it was through the filter. At one point it just stopped all together.

Last year I bought I flat filter/canner unit from Bill Mason. Its 12x24 and has a flat filter rack. I use the same orlon/wool set up, but you end up with much more surface area for the syrup to go through. Plus it has a lid, which keeps things warm and moving.

I do find filtering to be one of the most frustrating parts or syruping for a small backyarder like me. I think those who only have used filter press' dont know what we are going through....

Hurry Hill Farm
02-24-2010, 01:05 PM
Foss,

Wool is definitely faster than wool. Make SURE your filters are damp and make sure your syrup is hot. I use several prefilters (usually 6 and take them out as they get "dirty") and make sure they are damp also to start with. I store clean, damp filters (pre and wool) in my freezer and let them thaw up. Works well. I use only cone filters on 800 taps and can make clear syrup (Best of PA Farm show 2009 and second this year).

Hurry Hill
Edinboro PA

Frank Ivy
02-24-2010, 02:38 PM
Foss,

Wool is definitely faster than wool.

! That is saying something.:)

tstew
02-24-2010, 06:48 PM
Another trick that works for me is I keep my cone filters in the steam this keeps them hot and damp which seems to make filtering quicker

farmall h
02-24-2010, 06:55 PM
I still use the cone filters w/prefilters and it sucks. Your right, it is the most frustrating part of sugaring.

Foss
02-24-2010, 07:30 PM
Sounds like its just a time-consuming process... It is frustrating, but its well worth it for the finished product.

Thanks for all the input. We'll give the steam-treatment a shot next boil and see if it helps out.

farmall h
02-24-2010, 07:39 PM
Foss, the wool filters seem to flow better but it is all about the temperature and prefilters being wet/hot. Try to get them prepped just before you draw off. I have eight in rotation at all times. Covering your filter container helps greatly. Someday the "press fairy" will visit my sugar house.;)

hanson
02-24-2010, 09:06 PM
We use cone filters with pre filters and our syrup runs right threw as fast as we pour it in. What we do is draw off the syrup into buckets not filtering it at all, let it set for a day or two- all of the particles settle to the bottom. We then finish in smaller batches so we will heat up the syrup from the buckets. You will notice if you do this method there is 1/2" to 3/4" of sediment on the bottom of the bucket. When we get down to that we stop and go to the next bucket. After the syrup is reheated it runs right threw the filters. Do make sure your filters are wet. We have had no trouble at all using this method.

3rdgen.maple
02-24-2010, 11:02 PM
I have always used cone filters and prefilters without any fustration or waiting time. I also pack alot in glass and have no sediment in them. The key is to keep the syrup hot. You need an enclosed system for it to work good. My filter unit sits on a propane burner. There is a cover on the filter tank with an aluminum bucket cut and fit to the top of the cover. Steam laden filters drop right into that. I pour fresh hot syrup right of the fire into the filter unit. Put a cover on it keep the temp at 180 with the burner. By the time I am done lighting the burner and start to bottle right off from that unit the syrup is through. I then pull a prefilter and continue with the next batch. After I have used 6 prefilters I drop in a clean syrup filter and 6 new prefilters. I use synthetic filters. I use to use wool and always had some sediment in the bottom of glass jars.

VA maple guy
02-25-2010, 09:19 AM
Hanson has got it right, if you are using a cone filter, let your syrup sit
for a few days or even weeks then filter it. I store my unfiltered syrup
in soda kegs until the end of the season then filter it all. I hardly ever
have to change a prefilter except when filtering the last little bit because
some sediment makes it out of the bottom of the soda kegs.
Gerry

Hurry Hill Farm
02-25-2010, 09:35 AM
Foss,

Wool is faster than synthetic (orlon, acrylic etc). Again, the key is to have the filters damp (and hot if you can do that). One hobbyist I know puts his clean damp wool filter in the microwave just before he uses it.

Hurry Hill

TF Maple
02-25-2010, 09:59 AM
I like the "Hanson plan" which keeps most of the sugar sand out of the filters so they don't clog up much. But I don't want to let syrup sit and get cold and have to reheat. The "3rdgen method" really saves the heat and energy. I just need some more experience makng syrup so I can figure out a way to keep the sand out of the filters and get the bottling done without much reheating.
I hope everyone has a good season!

maple sapper
03-01-2010, 09:21 AM
I havent lately, but in my earlier days when things stopped flowing in the cone filters, I would make a tent out of foil (big foil) and suspend my cone filter from a rope from a hook in the ceiling over a bucket or pot (not advisable in the kitchen unless your wife really likes you hobby as much as you) then place a 250 watt halogen light in there to make some heat. But dont put it to close to filter to start a fire. Keep it back a bit. And of course dont leave the house or building when doing this.