PDA

View Full Version : Leader fittings and memory flex tubing

Wanabe1972
02-23-2010, 08:36 PM
Has anyone had trouble with memory flex pulling off leader fittings. I normally us the 30p with out a problem and this year used a 2000 feet of max flow memory flex. I use a one handed tubing tool and set the line right up tight to the fitting. I had several laterals pull off the the main line hook today while adding side ties to the main line. went back to the fitting and cut an inch off the lateral and rehooked. Went on down the line doing side ties and saw another lat. pull off. I walked the main line and found 3 more lats laying on the ground. I have always tied in my laterals then tightened my main line with side ties to get it all tight. Do I need to use clamps on the max flow where it hooks to main line?

sapman
02-23-2010, 09:11 PM
Seems like I heard of the mem. flex being a problem. I haven't used any, but surely someone on here will speak to this with more knowledge than me.

Tim

maple sapper
02-23-2010, 09:27 PM
maybe you could try the (lappiere i think) wedge style hook set up. This clamps onto the lateral and then hooks onto your wire on the mailine. The tigher the lateral the tighter the wedge gets. Almost imposible to take apart.

Wanabe1972
02-23-2010, 09:45 PM
Thanks Maple sapper I will look into these. Probable put some clamps on for this year.

markcasper
02-24-2010, 12:59 AM
Wanabee, The Lapiere things are called slide fittings. I like them very much for end trees. I had so much problem with squirrels going after the end of tree tubing loops. I put a loose loop of 14 gauge fencing wire on end trees with a slide fitting and subseqent dropline. Works good for me and way less damage due to no tubing around the whole circumfrance of the tree.

As for the hooked connecters, they are crap too. I have had many pull off the mainline, especially after a very cold, say 0 degree night. I use slide fittings there too now.

I have always hated and been disgusted with Leader fittings, thats why up until now I had CDL or MaplePro fittings. I did buy some Leader T's with my new checkvalves to make new drops. They advertise them as redesigned and I will give them another try.

DS Maple
02-24-2010, 08:27 AM
Yes, I've had the same problem with the memory flex stuff. I bought when it was supposedly the newest greatest thing a couple years ago and I've been really disappointed. I've actually had to go around and put hose clamps on a few places because I've re-connected them so many times. Now I just use Lapierre tubing and I've been pretty happy with it.

Jim Brown
02-24-2010, 08:38 AM
We use 30P for lines and only use the memory flex for drops, that way there is no tension on the fittings.Nice stuff to work with cold but has some problems
Works for us!
Jim

Wanabe1972
02-24-2010, 09:52 AM
I guess I should have stuck with the 30p. I was told the memory flex kept your laterals tighter. Ive used it before on drop lines because ease of use in the colder weather. Well lesson learned and I cant even go fix my enterances today because we got 17 to 19 inches of snow last night and still snowing.:evil:

lewi927
02-24-2010, 10:53 AM
You should tighten your mainline first and then tighten the laterals. It's a little less stress on the laterals.

Snow Hill Farm
02-24-2010, 11:13 AM
I installed all new branches and drops in my sugarbush this winter, used 30P for the branches and memory flex for drops. Not one of the 250 or so connections at the main line has pulled apart yet....

ennismaple
02-24-2010, 12:02 PM
We've got about 45,000 feet of Lapierre semi-rigid in our bush and I haven't seen it pull off a fitting yet - even when a lateral hooked on the rack of the ATV as I went under it and I drove away! It did stetch really long and thin before breaking but the tees were fine. I haven't used Leader 30P but had heard good things about it. It's not abnormal to have problems with new products so maybe this is something they haven't ironed out yet?

sticbow
02-24-2010, 02:59 PM
I thought I would just throw this question in here instead of starting another thread. I cant make it to my taps everyday. I feel terrible when I find bags that have ripped off the holder or sap running on the ground. Will the Lambs Si-rigid work for me to drop in a couple of buckets? It's the cheapest of the 500' spools. I just dont want to buy junk and be stuck with it for the next few years. I would rather spend the extra $20 on something that I can work with!

Squaredeal
02-24-2010, 04:18 PM
We have miles of 30p with leader hooks, and the 30p will pull off the fitting if you look at it the wrong way. My opinion is that it is not soft enough to grab the barbs and that the barbs on the Leader hooks are too close together and the tubing bridges them.
On the other hand, I have replaced many of the leader hooks with CDL flat hooks and have not have any come off yet.
On repairs I am using CDL 4 saisons, and CDL semi-rigid with flat hooks while I try to decide which to go with. I have not had any of this tubing come off any fitting. Ever.
Maybe give the flat hooks a try b4 giving up on the memory flex.

Homestead Maple
02-24-2010, 07:29 PM
I've used the 30p for my laterals for more than ten years and haven't had any problems of it pulling of fittings where I connect to the entrance fittings. I started using the flex tubing for my drops a couple years ago and I haven't had any problems with it either. I tried a roll of D&G semi rigid last year because of the lower price but the stuff hasn't stopped stretching yet, it seems. I would think there would have to be excessive tension on someone's laterals if there're pulling off or may be you got some bad tubing. Call Randy at Leader. He will answer your questions. He's real pleasant to talk to.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-25-2010, 08:42 PM
I have used quite a bit of the 30p and haven't had any problems with it. I like the Lapierre clear(translucent) the best and that's all I buy now.

Moonlitemaple
02-25-2010, 09:27 PM
I use all 30 p in my woods have tried all the other cheaper junk tubing, yeah junk. I will only use 30p and leader fittings. I have tried other and leader is by far alot better. And when u tighten your side ties dont hook your laterial lines up to your main line. I have yet to have a leader fitting come apart, as long as it was put on with a tubing tool.

farmall h
02-26-2010, 06:35 PM
I bought 2000 feet of the light blue Lapierre 5/16 and really like it . It is not as ridgid as the Leader. I have used all types of tubing over the years. Leader dark blue, light blue and even green. Back in the late seventies early eighties we even used blue & green tubing that had ridges on it. Strange stuff. But I'm liking the Lapierre brand it is not as stiff as the leader for drops.