PDA

View Full Version : New guy question

flyboy41
02-23-2010, 07:30 PM
Here it is, my first question here.

I am new to this syrup gig, but had a blast boiling in baking pans with a propane burner last year. Made about 3-1/2 gallons.

This year I was going to build an oil barrel evap with a single pan but came across a great deal on a 2.5 by 6 evaporator and pans. The pans are tin but the price was right.

My question is in regards to the drop flue pan. When I am done boiling for the night, I am planning to drain my syrup pan and store the sap until I boil again. I also want to drain my drop flue, but there is no drain in those flues. I have been told to drain all the pans every night, so would it be OK to leave the sap in the flues or should I haul the pan out and dump the sap into buckets?

Next question: Is it OK to run say 2 inches in the pans when I am boiling? I am just a bit nervous about this much sap boiling at once and have read plenty of stories on here about things going south in a hurry on you experienced guys. Add my inexperience to the equation and if it seems OK I would like to keep 2 inches or so in the pans.

What is "sweetening the pan"?

Lots of questions and only about 4 or 5 days to come up with answers.

Thanks in advance for the advice

BryanEx
02-23-2010, 07:33 PM
THIS THREAD (http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?t=8315) just posted a few days ago should answer pretty much all your questions. If still not sure after read it just let us know.

Gary R
02-23-2010, 07:43 PM
I don't have a flue pan but I can help a little. I wouldn't drain my pans unless it was very cold for a long time. If it get cold, put a small heater or light bulb in the arch. This should keep things from freezing. "Sweetening" the pan. Lets say your evaporator was empty. You fill it and start boiling. You may boil all night long and not make syrup. The next day you boil again. This time your pans are "sweetened". You may be pulling off syrup in an hour. Mine are sweet right now. I may not get to boil for about 4-5 days.

morningstarfarm
02-23-2010, 08:07 PM
I'm a new guy to evaporators as well, and what I've found is that after the first 120 gals or so on my 2x6 I started to make syrup..pans were sweetened. Now I'm finding that what I put in I get out ( ex put in 40 gals draw off about 1 gal syrup). don't drain them..just keep adding sap

PerryW
02-24-2010, 08:14 AM
I have a 3x10 evaporator and I never drain my pans during the season; even when the weather goes into the deep freeze. (WHatever I drain my sap into will also freeze, and there's too much liquid to practically haul it into a warm place).

The only precaution I take when real cold weather is expected it to boil my pans down so there is only an inch or less above the flues. There seems to be enough flex in the flues so it can freeze rock-solid and I have never had a problem in 20 years.

Mac
02-24-2010, 09:07 AM
Flyboy41....what do you fly? Besides that drop flu::lol:

flyboy41
02-24-2010, 11:21 AM
Mac,

I am a recreational pilot.....got my PPL and Instrument rating back in 2001....I was going to press on and become an airline pilot....then 9/11 took the wind out of my sails for a few years. I started flying out of Rochester 2 years ago and then they shut down the FBO....can't seem to catch a break. I helped my bro in law build a plane and have flown that a few times...it's a SeaRey...very cool plane.

It is one of those things I think about alot, but never seem to have the time when I have the money or never seem to have the money when I have the time..

Do you fly? If so what is your story?