PDA

View Full Version : Tough year so far

David Powell
02-23-2010, 06:55 PM
I have 22 taps and have only collect about 30 gallons so far. I hope this chilly weather slows the buds down or this is going to turn out worse than last year.

Clan Delaney
02-23-2010, 07:06 PM
How long have you been tapped? I've had 27 taps out for, eh, a week, and only have 20 gallons in the tank. But, I admit to having tapped those trees a week earlier than I'd planned. It's still early here.

Buckeye mapler
02-23-2010, 10:46 PM
the trees in southwest ohio aren't even thinking about budding. they don't bud in march because it's march. they bud when the weather is encouraging them to, which it is not. in fact we are getting around an inch of snow tonight. calm down and be ready for some boiling. be patient. I tapped january 24th and had to reboar all my holes this past sunday so I will be ready for the good flows!

David Powell
02-24-2010, 12:00 PM
I tapped January 30th when the forcast for February looked a lot more promising than it turned out to be. The majority of my taps are in the southern part of Clermont County and I have a few taps in central Hamilton County. On last Sunday, as I was emptying the jugs, I looked up at the Red Maples and thought I saw some buds. Where do you tap at Buckeye? Do you think it would be wise to hit the tap holes with the drill bit again this week?

archangel_cpj
02-24-2010, 06:19 PM
Looks like NE Ohio will still be below normal I dont know if this season will be worth a danged...

newman_maple
02-24-2010, 06:22 PM
I was surprised with 50 gallons of sap this evening. It ran last night I guess. I checked yesterday afternoon and barely had a drop so I didn't bother. I barely had and ice either, but it is getting much colder now. It will keep nicely for the weekend!

Frank Ivy
02-24-2010, 06:34 PM
I'm a few miles from the OH line in PA. Looks like another week of no sap.

archangel_cpj
02-25-2010, 12:46 PM
7 day as follows for highs sat 35 sun 34 sunny mon 33 burr but tues 34 and sunnywed 35 and thurs 36 we may be turning the corner and I would consider tapping

maplehound
02-25-2010, 01:00 PM
I fianlly got my fathers tractor dug out of his barn. I had to get the neighbor (who put the mound of snow in front of the door)to bring his sckid steer down and dig it out. Now I just need to get anothre niegbor who lives close to my sugar bush to clear a path to the woods. I hope to tap early next week but I am still worried about how I am going to get around in the woods. On top of all this we are expecting another 8 inches in the next 24 to 36 hours. :(

heus
02-25-2010, 02:02 PM
I was completely surprised to have had a small run yesterday. Ended up gathering about 105 gallons from 189 taps. Never got above 33 or so all day but buckets were still running at 30 degrees. Tubing was froze up most of the day. I am very happy with how my 5 gal pails with drop lines run. I have been able to boil 3 nights in a row. Pans are pretty well sweetened and I am expecting a large amount of syrup real quick the next time I boil. Hope I don't burn my pan.
Think I may try to chase it all out with softened water if I get bored this weekend.

Frank Ivy
02-25-2010, 02:55 PM
I was completely surprised to have had a small run yesterday. Ended up gathering about 105 gallons from 189 taps. Never got above 33 or so all day but buckets were still running at 30 degrees. Tubing was froze up most of the day. I am very happy with how my 5 gal pails with drop lines run. I have been able to boil 3 nights in a row. Pans are pretty well sweetened and I am expecting a large amount of syrup real quick the next time I boil. Hope I don't burn my pan.
Think I may try to chase it all out with softened water if I get bored this weekend.

I got a run on my 18 taps as well - about a quart finished. Not too bad.

wnybassman
02-25-2010, 03:10 PM
Hasn't run much but I gathered about 5 gallons of sap in 19 taps over the last couple days. I threw out about 2 gallons of ice, and now I am finding a new use for my new 12x24 preheater pan. :lol: Just gonna bring it to a boil and put it back outside.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s163/wnybassman/maple/insidepreheater.jpg