PDA

View Full Version : tapping boxelder

minn
02-23-2010, 12:34 PM
Hello this is my first post. We own about 10 acres with quite a few maples and have always been interested in trying to tap them but know nothing about it. I found this site and have learned alot, thanks for that. The maples are about 15 miles from our home but we have quite a few boxelder in and around our yard so was wondering if it would be worth it to try tapping these to get my feet wet on this whole thing or are they not worth the bother?

C.Wilcox
02-23-2010, 01:02 PM
Depends. I tap box elder every year because it's all I really have. Given a choice between box elder and maple I'd choose maple because I like it more, but if you just want to try boiling some sap to see what it's like making syrup, go for the box elder. It makes a fine syrup and ranges in flavor from honey/butterscotch to kind of molasses-like. I've never checked the sugar content of the sap, but I suspect it's a bit lower than sugar maples so make sure you have a good amount of firewood.

SilverLeaf
02-23-2010, 01:13 PM
Welcome!

The topic of Boxelders came up in a recent thread on Norway maples. Bottom line: go for it! Just try to keep the sap separate from the others if you can, because the end product has a little different flavor.
http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?t=7961

KenWP
02-23-2010, 04:51 PM
Go for it. Makes good syrup that tastes just fine. And being close to home works good too.

TF Maple
02-23-2010, 05:01 PM
One word of warning, once you start you may not be able to stop and it might grow like you never expected.
My oldest son got me started last year, just to see if we could do it and what it would be like making syrup from sap. 18 taps last year and now more than 100 and we talk about all the trees we see that no one is tapping and dream about tapping more.
I never saw this addiction coming. But it sure is fun.

minn
02-24-2010, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the replies. Now I guess I will have to see what I can come up with for some equipment.

minn
06-10-2010, 09:35 PM
Well I did tap the boxelders and ended up with a couple gallons of syrup and also tapped some maples and got about a gallon of syrup. I found pans for a 3 x 12 evap. but the arch was totally gone so I guess I have a summer project in building arch. I cooked on the finishing pan on top of a barrel stove this spring. Every time I turn the computer on I head directly to mapletrader to see what's new, so I guess it's to late to turn back. Another one bites the dust.