PDA

View Full Version : Too deep in the syrup pan

northwoods_forestry
02-22-2010, 09:49 PM
First boil ever today on a used 3x8. All went pretty good, except at one point the z-arm in the syrup pan float box came loose from the float and my syrup pan got flooded up to about 3 1/2 inches. I wasn't sure what to do, but decided to take off enough to bring the level back down. I set that take off aside and dumped it into the flue pan when I shut down. Did I do right? Could I have done better?

PerryW
02-22-2010, 11:02 PM
I would remove the excess liquid (from the syrup pan) from the side that had the lowest density (usually the side opposite the drawoff) and dump that back into the flue pan. Since it is partially boiled, I would add it gradually to the flue pan as the opposite end from where the cold sap flows in.

Haynes Forest Products
02-23-2010, 12:02 AM
If you did nothing but shut down the feed line from the bulk tank and cooked until it was to a good level you would have been OK. You would boil for a few Hrs more before draw off and then things would be coming fast and furious for awhile. Yes you would be making some near syrup in the end of the flue pan but it wouldnt hurt a thing. Good luck and remember to keep a sharp eye out for the unexpected. Remember its all good syrup in the end.

Sugarmaker
02-24-2010, 10:19 PM
North woods,
Nice sugarhouse,
Yep crap happens! Much better to have to much sap than not enough. Listen to the rig ( I know this is a knew unit for you and each one is different) and you will get used to sounds like how the sap is entering the float box. Also watch the levels close. I circle my evaporator several times watching for things that are not right.
Hope you have made some nice syrup. 3 x 8 is a nice size rig.
bottom line! I probably would have done the same as you did! Get back to the correct level and go at it again and add the sap back in slowly.

Regards,
Chris

ennismaple
02-25-2010, 12:13 PM
I'd say you did nothing wrong. You definitely could have added the stuff you drew off back into the flue pan over time but definitely no harm done.

archangel_cpj
02-25-2010, 12:49 PM
you did fine personnally would just have boiled it down but then I would be cursing has the syrup came out too fast and furious but its a good problem to have!!!!

kinalfarm
02-25-2010, 05:13 PM
you could have shut the float valve off to the syrup pan off for a while till the level got good and than turned it back on. by adding it to the back pan you might have lost a grade on your syrup but no big deal at least you didnt burn the pans!!!

KenWP
02-25-2010, 06:57 PM
As long as you never burnt the pan or made bad syrup you did right. Any good syrup beats non at all.