PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Float Boxes

Littlesap
02-22-2010, 08:00 PM
I have a new 2x6 Maple Pro raised flue and the connection between the flue pan and float box (the one that feeds the syrup pan) is leaking. I filled the pans yesterday but didn't have enough to boil so after collecting today I filled the feed tank w/25 gallons and got ready to fire it up but realized I had a leak. I drained both pans and reseated both connections but it is still leaking. Frustrated, I fired it up anyway to sweeten the sap that had been accumulating and figured I'd drain it again in the morning and leave it empty till I'm ready to boil again. Upon shutdown I found another leak in the float box between the feed tank and flue pan.... HELP! I didn't use any kind of sealant for the o-rings, was that my mistake? Any suggestions would be great.

Other than that, the first (brief) boil was very exciting... got the wife and kids out there to share in my joy.

Bucket Head
02-22-2010, 09:14 PM
Congrats on the "exciting" part! As far as the o-rings go, they should'nt need any sealant. Thats the point with o-rings- they go in dry and seal without "help".

Are the o-rings nicked anywhere? Are the fittings nicked or bent? The o-ring sets in a machined groove, correct? Make sure the o-ring is higher than the groove it sets in. If the ring is too thin it won't seat against the other fitting properly. Usually, with an o-ring seal, if their not working something must be damaged. At least thats what I've found.

Contact the manufacturer or your local dealer and see what they say. Maybe your not the first to experience this?

Steve

johnallin
02-22-2010, 09:56 PM
Little sap, Just had the same thing this weekend after setting up a Leader 2x6. If you have the same setup I found the rubber washer was not the problem - thought I had it too tight - it was the threads that were leaking. The rubber washer seals from the outside - water was leaking between the pipe thread and nut. I took it apart and used plumbers putty -food grade ;-) and it sealed it right up.
See if this works for you.

Haynes Forest Products
02-23-2010, 12:15 AM
Teflon tape 6 wraps clockwise:) Dont need to over tighten:)

802maple
02-23-2010, 06:20 AM
There should be an adjustment on your clamp that secures the 2 fittings together. When you clamp it over both sides it should go on very tight. Are your clamps the cam over type or do they have a wingnut. If you put a sealant on them, that could be the problem, as said before there is not a need for sealant, they are sometimes coated with a glycerin lubricant but nothing else.

Littlesap
02-23-2010, 06:27 AM
It is not threaded and not sure what cam over is... it is a clamp that has two semi-circles on a hinge that fits over both ends of the pipe - tightened by a wing nut. The pipe had a groove where the o-rings fit and a lip on top that accepts the clamp. I drained it last night after everything cooled down and will re seat the o-rings. Maybe call Bascom's in the mean time to see if he's heard of this before. Grrrr.

Haynes Forest Products
02-23-2010, 09:01 AM
Most of the cam locs have a screw that with tweek the fitting to get a tighter seal. I have only had a leak when the O ring/washer was miss aligned.

maplesyrupstove
02-23-2010, 11:09 AM
A new O ring might work, when I got my new evaporator the dealer gave me 6 new O rings.Said they wear out and they get bump and will leak. Darrell

802maple
02-23-2010, 06:48 PM
You should be able to push them by hand tight enough to see if the flanges are misaligned, if they are not then you could have faulty o-ring

Littlesap
02-24-2010, 07:16 AM
Thanks guys, I drained the pans and re seated the o-rings. I think I just had them misaligned... rookie mistake.