PDA

View Full Version : firebrick/ceramic blanket/plywood?

TC matt
02-22-2010, 07:28 PM
I've got a 300 gal tank that I need to squareoff for the bottom of the firebox, two sides of the firebox, the back of the firebox and the space below the back of the pan. (see below)

http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af164/masamcd/

I plan on cutting the grate in half and discarding the back half. The front half, I plan to lay ceramic blanket and firebrink on top of the grate.

It's important to note that my evaporator needs to be portable and not too heavy for transport - i.e. I can't permanently mortor in the firebricks.
I'm running low on cash for welding in metal. So, here's a few crazy ideas for everyone to weigh in on/vote...

A. I've thought about just trying to dry stack concrete block in the back to build it up and then lay a blanket and firebrick to fireproof it. This should work back there, but not on the sides of the firebox.

B. Buy some angle iron and expanded metal to "frame in" the areas that need structure to then lay the ceramic blanket and stack firebrick. theoretically I could drill and bolt the angle to the tank and the exp metal to the angle, because those areas, once insulated, won't get hot. Is this crazy?

C. B's assumption led me to this crazy idea...using plywood (or something else readily available and cheap) as structure for the ceramic blanket and firebrick. If it's all very insulated from the heat, then it shouldn't matter what provides the structure. Right?

I'll stop drinking now and wait for your answers.

TessHayden06
02-22-2010, 07:39 PM
Cost saving measure--- make a friend at your local recycle center and ask them to grab any bed frames that come in. I made a very similar oil tank evaporator and used 2 bed frames and a futon. I grabbed some fridge shelving to make the grate. You'd be surprised what you can grab from the recycle center that will work. I used a basketball hoop brace to hold my preheater that coils around my stack...grabbed a temp gauge form a grill for stack temp, all sorts of good stuff and the best part is it's all free!

vtsnowedin
02-22-2010, 07:42 PM
You should have laid off the sauce after option A. :lol:

TF Maple
02-22-2010, 09:56 PM
I would like to figure out a way to make double walled sides for a future firebox, then fill it with vermiculite for the insulation. It would be low cost and low weight.

vtsnowedin
02-23-2010, 05:42 AM
I would like to figure out a way to make double walled sides for a future firebox, then fill it with vermiculite for the insulation. It would be low cost and low weight.
If you do that the inside wall will keep burning out on you.

TF Maple
02-23-2010, 09:36 AM
I know,:( that is why I can't figure out a way to do it. Need something fireproof that won't easily get damaged if a piece of wood hits it while loading.

morningstarfarm
02-23-2010, 11:51 AM
my best thought would be to keep it simple..go to either a scrap yard or a metal suppliey and get a sheet of 14 guage steel..trace out the shape of your barrel on cardboard with an angle if you want it and weld it in..I'd also straighten the sides to take the curves out of the firebox and fill behind it with vermiculite..block the back or put in a second wall like 6" behind it and fill the gaps with vermiculite...30 mins all done...