PDA

View Full Version : Could you help a new guy out?

82cabby
02-22-2010, 07:25 PM
This will be about the fourth year I am using tubing. I have a small batch-type set up and am looking to expand from 30 taps the last couple of years to 50 or 60 this year. I have one line of 20 taps that I have run the last several years that works great using all 5/16 inch tubing. I would like to run two more pretty much just like it. Each will feed it's own collection container.

I have been kind of winging it so far but what I really could use are hints, tips and most of all PICTURES of other folk's small scale tubing set-ups. So please, if you got'em post'em!

Thanks in advance!

Sugarmaker
02-22-2010, 07:46 PM
I may have a few shots of short run tubing on my photo bucket somewhere.
I have some nice hard copy pictures here in my hadn doesn't do you much good.:(

Chris

82cabby
02-22-2010, 08:15 PM
Chris -

Thanks for the reply! I looked through your maple images. Could you do me a favor and elaborate on the one below? I don't have enough experience to really tell what I am looking at!

Thanks!

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee170/Sugarmaker/Maple%20stuff/2CDLendringsandloopoftubingCDLhook.jpg

Dill
02-22-2010, 08:53 PM
That's pretty much exactly how my lines are setup.:lol:
I mean the 20 or so into a collection point.
So first up, make some drops into a T fitting.
Then go out to the woods and roll your lines out. Snake you way between the trees, left on one right on the next, so that every tree has the tubing tight to it. This really takes 2 people. Make it tight to both ends, I like to secure it to a tree and then run a separate feeder line down to the collection barrel. Then go back in a splice in the drops.

PerryW
02-22-2010, 10:57 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/perryW/MapleSapLines.jpg

Haynes Forest Products
02-23-2010, 12:09 AM
82Cabby keep in mind that most of the 2-3-400 tap operations are nothing more than your set up. Yes I know that sounds silly but I can take a picture of one small section and it would not show the overall set up. Its no differant than a 20 Zone sprinkler system its all just 20 small ones together. Bigger timer. Same heads, same pressure from the house, same brance pipe....ect ect ect

Sugarmaker
02-24-2010, 10:08 PM
The pictures on my photobucket under the maple section are three shots of end trees with the semi-patented "cecloop" which allows easy take down easy tightening of the tubing on the first and last tree in the line
I use 9 inches of 30P tubing with a CDL slip loop on each end thsi can slide up and down the line to allow tightineing.
Around the tree comes the tubing and has a CDL hook on the end which hooks into the loop. I do also used CDL green tees (blind tees as the last drop tee to keep sap out of the hook portion of the end line.
Keep asking. P.M me and I can elaborate more.

Not sure why it says photobucket was inactive. Just checked and it works OK now?

Regards,
Chris

82cabby
02-25-2010, 11:00 AM
The pictures on my photobucket under the maple section are three shots of end trees with the semi-patented "cecloop" which allows easy take down easy tightening of the tubing on the first and last tree in the line
I use 9 inches of 30P tubing with a CDL slip loop on each end thsi can slide up and down the line to allow tightineing.
Around the tree comes the tubing and has a CDL hook on the end which hooks into the loop. I do also used CDL green tees (blind tees as the last drop tee to keep sap out of the hook portion of the end line.
Keep asking. P.M me and I can elaborate more.

Not sure why it says photobucket was inactive. Just checked and it works OK now?

Regards,
Chris

COOL! I'm going to have to try something like that!