PDA

View Full Version : pan gasket?

pelz
02-22-2010, 01:25 PM
is pan gasket material the same or similar to stove gasket, or is it a different material altogether. i had fairly good luck with the stove gasket under my pans last year. thanks.

mark bolton
02-22-2010, 02:00 PM
I used stove gasket material last year. It was like fibreglass rope and it melted. This year I bought pan gasket which is flat and approx. 2" wide.

tomslusher
02-22-2010, 07:47 PM
How about exhaust wrap? I have a bunch left over from wrapping my pipes on my motorcycle. Should be the same, right? I was planning on using it to seal the pan to the stove.

thanks,

tomslusher

bearair
02-23-2010, 10:15 AM
I would be cautious on using exhaust wrap. Exhaust pipes don't get nearly as hot as your stove. Also I used this stuff once on an exhaust pipe and the chemical smell was very strong. I would worry that this would taint the product.

maple flats
02-25-2010, 07:08 PM
I just tried some door gasket from what is used on an outdoor wood boiler. I hope it works. If not I'll be changing it out.

KenWP
02-25-2010, 07:30 PM
I hope that stove gasket rope works as that's all I could find to use around here. Even if it melted it would still seal the pans. It dosn't melt in the stove so it should work. Wonder if its food grade.

Wanabe1972
02-25-2010, 07:51 PM
Ive used stove rope for years without a problem. I got the 1/2 rope put the pans on and pulled on it to make it straight and level and it works well for a whole season. I did not have trouble melting but it gets crispy and needs to be replaced every year. Im trying a ceramic pan gasket this year but it does not seem to seal as well because my syrup pan is a little warped. I think it will be fine with sap in it because it sets flat with just a little pressure with my finger.