PDA

View Full Version : nace in scottsville, ky

nace
02-22-2010, 11:19 AM
howdy y'all, thank's for all of the tip's and how-to ... what a terrific site. on feb 1 i put 2 tap's in a 20" maple, 3/8ths tubing into a 5gal bucket ( i got 2 free bucket's from sam's club bakery ). on feb 6th i had 5 gal of sap which made 12oz of syrup. we had a cold snap till the 17th then the sap started flowing again so i'll be boiling 7-8 gallon's of sap tonight the 22nd. we have 15- 20 trees on 3 acre's and next year i plan to tap 'em all and since they all will support at least 2 tap's each i'm hoping to make 8-12 gallon's of syrup. for now i'm using a turkey fryer and the bottom of a ss roasting pan. i'll be shopping the scrap yard's for stainless this summer to make an evaporator for next year. federal grove bed and breakfast, in auburn ky, will have a maple syrup festival this weekend feb 26-28 and the weekend after also. i plan on attending to check out thier operation. thank's again to everyone , may your sugar level's be higher than ever....nace

nace
03-09-2010, 07:53 AM
i finished last night with 22 gal of sap and 52 oz of syrup total since 1 feb. when the leaves come out i'll count the trees and figure out what size evaporator to build for next season but for now it's garden prep time. thank you to everyone for all of the how-to and tip's...have a great season. nace