PDA

View Full Version : First Batch from my Block Evaporator

valleyman
02-22-2010, 08:57 AM
Well finally broke the 4 pan block evaporator in. Had some issues but managed to get about 3/4 gallon finished.

I have the fresh sap enterring the rear most pan through the copper coil wrapped around the stack (which didn't get hot enough) then progressing up thru the front being most finished. I got the two front pans ripping boiling so fast that I started adding fresh sap to the nearly finished to prevent scorching. Also because my pans are too low into the firebox, the sides kept getting burnt sap accumulating with the boiling sap constantly hitting the burn line. That equals dark syrup.:(

I was packing the fire box with wood. Then it would boil violently. Then repeat the process. For my next boil. I will fill and keep the pans a little fuller and ladle it out of the front pan sooner and finish it on the propane and keep the fire more even and let the fire burn down before pulling the pan.

To sum it up.
I was trying to go too long on the evaporator.
I will wrap the copper coil with insulation to keep it warmer
It was still satisfying to get to boil and to taste the syrup on Apple Pie Ice cream.:)

I'm going to bottle it tonight. Probably in mason jars and save my fancy glass bottles for neat weekends boil

red maples
02-22-2010, 09:39 AM
good for you!! it takes practice. but once you get a system its great!!!

Haynes Forest Products
02-22-2010, 10:18 AM
Red Maples He is a sugar maker once we get a system going we jack it all up and start over wondering what went wrong:o

C.Wilcox
02-22-2010, 10:49 AM
Also because my pans are too low into the firebox, the sides kept getting burnt sap accumulating with the boiling sap constantly hitting the burn line. That equals dark syrup.:(

I was packing the fire box with wood.

Valleyman- Don't worry about that burn line one bit and don't think you can't still make light syrup. I used the same set up last year and still managed to make some very light syrup. This is going to fly in the face of everything you read here and I'm certainly not trying to turn a collective 1000 years of experience upside down, but with my block/steam pan evaporator I made lighter syrup by keep the heat under control a bit more. If I kept it boiling, but didn't try to make it go nuclear I got lighter syrup. I have no idea why. Maybe it had more to do with bacteria, weather, sap condition, etc.? I don't know, but my first batches were made this way and they were very light. My last batch of the year was also this way until I decided to throw in some pieces of bone dry red cedar to give it one last shot. Flames shot right out the top of the chimney and the syrup just about jumped right up out of the pan. I watched the syrup go from light to very dark in moments while I stood there cursing my foolishness. So I have no idea if it would work for you, but it might be worth a try just to see how it works if you're looking for the light stuff. You can send me all the dark stuff that you don't want to use if you're just looking to get rid of it. :)

valleyman
02-22-2010, 11:28 AM
Hey CWilcox,
Thanks for the comforting words and nice try but you're not getting my syrup. The dang stuff tastes great!:lol:

I definitely got the fire close to the nuclear stage. Same thing the syrup went from light to dark real fast.

I did have sap stored for 6 days but I kept it real cold and I take extra care on the whole sanitation thing. The sap was clear as water so I think it was good. I think it happened so much quicker than my set up from last year (which was basically a campfire) that I said to myself it cant be done yet so add more sap and go nuclear with the fire. I'll keep her down a bit and add a log or two not a armload at a clip.

Even though the front pans were rippin' the sap pan never got to that stage. I'm going to take Mapletrader's veteran advise and wrap my copper coil with insulation and cut a section of leftover stove pipe to enclose it. That should warm it up a bit more.