PDA

View Full Version : vinegar totes

TC matt
02-22-2010, 08:15 AM
I have a chance to pick up one of those 275 gal plastic tote's (in the cage) for $70. The seller said that it had vinegar and that he has sold several for sap collection. Does anyone have experience with using tote or drums that once contained vinegar? Any tips on cleaning them out?

DanE.
02-22-2010, 09:26 AM
Vinegar totes are the easiest to clean. Just wash with hot water. I wish I could have found some more this year, unfortunately the barrels I found this year had sesame seed oil in them and the smell will not come out.

Dane.

red maples
02-22-2010, 09:41 AM
oil smell won'y come out. some of my barrels had sushi seasoning in them (rice vinegar and sugar) a good washing and a little bleach for sanitizing tripple rinse perfect!!!

DanE.
02-22-2010, 09:52 AM
yup, that is vinegar base they clean up good. I think these barrels sat for a few years and the oil got rancid. I have used lacquer thinner on one and a few days later the smell is back. (its now a trash can).

I believe the problem with oil is that it reacted with the oil that in the plastic and the smell permeated into the plastic more.

Dane.

Haynes Forest Products
02-22-2010, 10:14 AM
I have a tote that I use for watering trees that had Guava oil in it and it dowsnt small but the oil residue is hard to wash out. Havent gone the harsh chemical treatment YET.