PDA

View Full Version : Fire through the door

Turtlecreek
02-21-2010, 07:13 PM
I fired up my half pint today and it works awsome, there is one small problem: fire fromt the front door! So here is the set up, barrel stove with a half pint, 6" stack with a damper, forced air draft. It seemed to shoot more fire out with the forced air choked off not running wide open. I had the stack damper wide open, if I closed it it made no difference. So what can I do to stop it? I boil outside so the fire isn't going to burn down my sugar house, at least this year until I build a shack, shh don't tell my wife about the shack!

red maples
02-21-2010, 07:16 PM
I don't have forced air but don't you need pretty tight or even air tight doors for forced draft?

markct
02-21-2010, 08:06 PM
ya gota come up with some kinda gasket to fit to it, and maybe insulate the door too. i know on my 2x8 homemade airtight arch the door is insulated and often the fasteners holding the insulation glow bright orange when ya open it!

RileySugarbush
02-21-2010, 08:31 PM
I wonder if your air inlet it blowing towards the door? With the stack damper open and the blower stopped down your shouldn't have too much of a problem.

Or maybe you have way too big a blower!

vtsnowedin
02-22-2010, 05:17 AM
I don't know if there is enough room in a halfpint fire box but what maybe happening is all your forced air is coming up through the back half of your grate and pushing the fire towards the door. Push your fire in further and keep the back half of your grate covered with coals and unburned wood and let some of the cold air come up through the very front of your grate. This will cool the doors and mix in with the fire and become your top air.

Turtlecreek
02-22-2010, 02:50 PM
since the door is just a cheap door from tractor supply, i insulated it before the season with some blantet, i disnot bother to use a door gasket. I think that is my problem, I glued a door gasket on it today and also got some high temp caulk stuff to seal around the door frame some more. I also filled in the draft holes below the door since fire was puking out there too and i don't use them with the forced air. When it was throwing fire out the front it look pretty cool, I wish it was at night so I could have seen the fire out the door and I'm sure this thig was burning hot enough to shoot fire out the stack at times.

maple flats
02-25-2010, 07:13 PM
Not sure about a half pint but fire out the stack on bigger units means you ran out of combustion air. The hot wood gasses ignited when the got a new shot of air at the top of the stack. That is what my combustion air injection system is trying to avoid. time will tell.

Turtlecreek
02-26-2010, 07:11 PM
Just had a brain storm after doing some checking of the fire box tonight. Is it possible that the top of my wall ( ramp) in the back of my fire box is too high, meani g too close to the pan and this is causing the fire box to pressurise too much forcing the fire out the door?

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-27-2010, 07:06 AM
Might try adding another 3 or 4 feet of stack as this would help pull the fire more to the back of the half pint.