PDA

View Full Version : New tubing and plastic smell.

heus
02-21-2010, 05:54 PM
Got my first sap yesterday and today from new gravity tubing into totes. First time I opened up a lid it smelled very strongly of plastic. Right away I'm thinking that my totes were transferring a plastic smell to my sap. I then put a cup under the outlet of the tubing and waited a while to get enough to taste. Wow, a very strong plastic smell! I checked several more of my tubing setups and each one has a strong smell and tase of plastic straight from the tubing. Is this normal with new tubing and will it effect syrup quality? Its new Leader 30-P blue tubing.

Haynes Forest Products
02-21-2010, 07:33 PM
Chew on a piece it shoulnt leave a taste. Im serious I have never smelled the tubing from 300 new taps and tubing. Doesnt mean that it cant be bad tubing. If its like putting a brand new Stanley screwdriver handle in your mouth your screwd.

ebourassa
02-21-2010, 07:39 PM
I havent run into that problem yet, i just ran some new lines too i curious to see if there is any smell, might also have something to do with your drops or even the spiles, let us know what you come up with.

TRAILGUY
02-21-2010, 07:46 PM
i ran the first day on the ground for the same reason

heus
02-21-2010, 07:57 PM
Everything on the lines is new. Spiles are new Leader and CDL. T's are new Leader, as are my end forks and end rings. Drop lines are also new. Could it just be that most people dont take the time to actually smell and taste their sap coming from their tubing? All of my tubing was purhased at different times throughout the winter, so I doubt it could all be bad. Every single one of my 14 different tubing stations smells and tastes like plastic.
Quote:Chew on a piece it shoulnt leave a taste.

I have apiece right here. Its the 30P 5/16" tubing. It smells strongly of plastic.

heus
02-21-2010, 08:15 PM
I did a search for this and found that sapman had the same problem. I really think 98% of syrupmakers aren't as anal as I am and therefore never actually taste or smell their sap, let alone smell their tubing!:lol:

MASSEY JACK
02-21-2010, 08:18 PM
Relax....I ran into the same problem several years ago. Sap smelled very much like plastic. It went away with the boiling. Did not smell it in the steam or taste it in the syrup. Talked to several big sugarmakers and they said it was normal.

PerryW
02-22-2010, 02:14 PM
It is normal. I have noticed the smell since I was a kid 40 years ago.

Dave Lister
02-22-2010, 04:18 PM
I constantly hold the tubing in my mouth due to the lack of a third hand out in the woods and never tasted or smelled plastic....

Homestead Maple
02-22-2010, 08:02 PM
If you smell the inside of some of your plastic syrup containers they have a plastic smell too but it never gets passed on to the syrup.

Dill
02-22-2010, 08:55 PM
Quote:Chew on a piece it shoulnt leave a taste.

Hmm just grabbed a piece and tried this. Man we have problems around here. No plastic taste to me.

farmall h
02-23-2010, 05:28 PM
I bought the 30p tubing as well....2 weeks ago. Was making drops while watching "Axe Men" and could smell it. Can't taste anything though. Kinda like that new car smell.:lol:

red maples
02-23-2010, 06:58 PM
love that show. american logger is on friday nights from up in maine. ever driven on the golden road? I
did ... I think I soiled myself several times those truckers drive like ...wow.

I have everything new this year and I am very anal about everything being clean and taste and what ever but I have no plastice smell or taste from anything. I used black water tubing all new all laterals,t's taps, fittings all new.

northwoods_forestry
02-23-2010, 07:32 PM
I put in 250 new taps using the 30P tubing this year and had the first run yesterday (2/22). Sure did smell strongly of plastic and even had a slight plastic taste, but after a couple of hours in the evaporator it doesn't smell nor taste like plastic now.

heus
02-23-2010, 07:35 PM
Same here,
I couls smell the plastic as it sat in the head tank and even a little in the flue pan at startup, but it disappeared as the boiling went on.

Wanabe1972
02-23-2010, 08:02 PM
I was running laterals a few weeks ago and needed to search through my pockets. I put line in my mouth to hold it and it tasted like crap. I couldnt get the taste out of my mouth for about 30 minutes It tasted like asperin so i walked to the truck and dug up a cough drop. I took some home a ran water through it into a cup and tasted the water but there was no tatse to it. I think it may be somthing they put on it at the factory as it is extruded or somthing.:confused: