PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Buckets before season

PoorFarmFarmer
02-21-2010, 07:12 AM
I bought a bunch of buckets that were washed and stored for 3 or 4 yrs? They look clean, but should I wash them before the season? Do people do that in general, or just at the end of the season? Thanks!

BryanEx
02-21-2010, 07:18 AM
Absolutely. At season end I go at all my buckets with a water/bleach solution and a good scrub brush before storing and then again when I drag them back out for the next season. The less bacteria in your buckets to start with the better your sap will keep.

Recommendation from Ontario Ministry of Agriculture...\

"Prior to use, all buckets should be washed with hot water or steam cleaned, rinsed with a chlorine solution (1 part bleach to 40 to 100 parts water), and well rinsed with potable (drinkable) water. Use litmus paper to test for the presence of chlorine residues.

If there is a significant warm weather break, the same bucket cleaning procedure may be required. "

BoarsNest
02-21-2010, 07:02 PM
I washed my buckets three weeks ago when I bought them used from a soup company. How soon before you tap do you wash them out? I plan on tapping next weekend do you think they need to be rinsed again?

BryanEx
02-21-2010, 07:12 PM
I would say you are fine BoarsNest providing they have been kept in a clean dry location since. At the end of the season when temps are warm and sap is running bacteria is at it's highest. A good scrub down before putting them away leaves them in great shape for the following season. I wash them again (just this weekend actually) to get rid of any cobwebs, flies, or other contamination that may have occurred while stored. My rule of thumb is if in doubt, wash it out. It only costs a little effort to wash something and you will never go wrong from washing something if you didn't really need to. If you want some really detailed info of maple syrup cleanliness then check out this info from the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture... great info!

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/food/inspection/maple/pdf/fs_maple_ch2.htm#top

BoarsNest
02-21-2010, 07:33 PM
I would say you are fine BoarsNest providing they have been kept in a clean dry location since. At the end of the season when temps are warm and sap is running bacteria is at it's highest. A good scrub down before putting them away leaves them in great shape for the following season. I wash them again (just this weekend actually) to get rid of any cobwebs, flies, or other contamination that may have occurred while stored. My rule of thumb is if in doubt, wash it out. It only costs a little effort to wash something and you will never go wrong from washing something if you didn't really need to. If you want some really detailed info of maple syrup cleanliness then check out this info from the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture... great info!

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/food/inspection/maple/pdf/fs_maple_ch2.htm#top

Thanks, that's a really helpful website.