PDA

View Full Version : When will buckets be collectible?

BryanEx
02-20-2010, 04:33 PM
Given that traditional sap buckets have not been made for years and maple suppliers seem to consistently come up with them in quantity... how long will it take before they become collectible and prices per bucket shoot up? I know there were literately 100's of 1000's in use prior to tubing but still... we've got to be getting close to running out of the clearance inventory and getting into more of a collectible commodity sometime soon. Hmmm... maybe there's an investment potential here. "Invest in sap buckets today - retire tomorrow". :D

farmall h
02-20-2010, 04:49 PM
We have a large collectin of spouts hung on a board. Must be 50 different styles. Some very old.

Flat47
02-20-2010, 05:25 PM
Leader still makes buckets.

KenWP
02-20-2010, 06:20 PM
Well some small guy buys buckets and uses then untill he figures hes Theron and goes in to vacuum and tubeing. So the buckets go back on the market and the next guy buys them. So they will last a while. There is warehouses full of them in Quebec still. Then of course theres lots of plastic ones left out there and lots of the old Galvinized with seams running around. And if you watch close there has to be a few wild trees with buckets on them that if you can catch them you get a free bucket. Be awhile before they become worth much except if the price of metal skyrockets again.

BryanEx
02-20-2010, 07:48 PM
Leader still makes buckets.

Yep... y'er right Flat47. Just looked at their site again and while they do make buckets they are also not the same as the traditional aluminum or galvanized ones. I'll be curious to see if that makes any difference in the years to come or if what Ken suggests pans out where old style buckets just keep being re-used by newbies.

On the same note - why are the large ones so hard to find? Were they not widely used due to weight? Any distributor I've seen that has listed them in their catalogue always says "subject to availability".

Sugarmaker
02-20-2010, 08:05 PM
The day after you sell them:)
Just had 60 older buckets leave to a new home yesterday and Cheryl said didn't you keep a couple for display?

Chris

KenWP
02-20-2010, 08:13 PM
I would not be surprised that some got recycled also. I have what I thought were big ones and then seen the neighbours and his are even bigger. Theres some little ones around also. They say 1.5 gallons and 3 gallons at the CO-OP but how big the others are I have no idea. They are US gallons not British.

3rdgen.maple
02-20-2010, 10:51 PM
How many years have buckets been used and they still are not really collectibles. I think as long as their is a need for them the will be hanging on trees everyspring. If you look around on the web you will find quite a few places were artist buy the old rusty and undesireable ones and paint some nice pictures or landscapes on them. I have seen people use them as planters as well. Heck there is a place by my hunting camp where their buckets are on the trees year round but they have flowers planted in them.

Flat47
02-21-2010, 06:47 AM
I'm not trying to be difficult, but these are the same 4 gallon buckets they've made forever:
http://www.leaderevaporator.com/p-198-galvanized-sap-bucket-16-quart.aspx

KenWP
02-21-2010, 07:23 AM
We don't have those up here as far as I know. Most of the buckets we see are the old aluminium seamless buckets. Those new buckets are nice and shiney. One thing with the aluminium buckets is you will find one once in a while that somebody wore grooves into it with a bucket washer. They are really hard to get apart that way.

farmall h
02-21-2010, 07:24 AM
Flat47, that is the same style bucket. Never saw one new! Must be the galvanized is of a different formula or do you think they discolor with age?

Flat47
02-21-2010, 07:51 AM
I don't know about the formula, but galvanized metal used outdoors will get that patina we're used to seeing. I think, but not 100% sure, that they are made in the GH Grimm plant in Rutland (Leader owns Grimm). I'd have to dig through my old catalogs, but I kinda remember Grimm making some stainless ones (late '80s maybe?). To do that with today's stainless prices, I bet they'd be close to $100 each. Yikes!

H. Walker
02-21-2010, 11:39 AM
I sold 1000's of old rusty tin buckets that were going to California for tole painting.