PDA

View Full Version : 5% Sugar out of a Red? Is My Refractometer Broken? Here are some of my readings...

bussell
02-20-2010, 11:19 AM
Did a quick and dirty check of my taps today using a ATC refractometer that I got on ebay. I assume this means I don't need to adjust my readings to compensate for temperature.

All taps are red maples unless stated otherwise... Could it be that my red maples are really this high in sugar? Could they be higher than my Sugar Maples? Could I really be getting 5% out of a red maple?

#1 3.2
#2 4
#3 4
#4 3.9
#5 4
#6 4
#7 3.5
#8 - dry
#9 5!!!!
#10 -dry
#11 4.1
#12 4.1 Sugar
#13 2.9 Undersized sugar

bussell
02-20-2010, 01:53 PM
Ok, so I forgot to calibrate the refractometer. I had to adjust it downward by about .5%. So I guess my readings were a little high. However, even subtracting .5% from these readings the results are still really high! Can these readings really be true? Planning on my first boil tomorrow, so I guess we'll find out.

bussell
02-20-2010, 02:15 PM
Argh. Okay, so I retested one of my sugar maples inside after recalibrating the refractometer. I got a reading of 3.0%. So the calibration did make a difference (-1.1%)- but 3% is still great, right? If that all of my readings were 1.1% high, that still means I'm getting over 3% on most of my trees - with one close to 4%!

I'll probably recheck some tomorrow.

Frank Ivy
02-20-2010, 02:25 PM
Not sure about the readings.

I got a 0-10% refractometer through ebay.

1st thing - calibrate at 20C, which is about 70F.

Calibrate using perfectly distilled water. I boiled some water and collected the steam with a clean spoon held over the steam. Not perfect, but good enough for government work.

Mine was actually within 1/10 of 1 percent of 0 right out of the box, so I didn't need to calibrate it.

I got reds today at 2%, so 3% seems within range - I read on this board that guys in Maine get 3 out of reds - routinely

cncaboose
02-21-2010, 08:26 AM
Individual days and individual trees are going to vary a lot. Last year we had one day all of our sap averaged 4% but most days it was around 3%. Our sap tends to test higher early in the season. I have a tree that tested 8% one day in '06 but routinely runs about 2.5%. The key to comparing trees is to test them all on the same day, at least the ones that are close together. That can help with culling decisions on young trees especially.

Frank Ivy
02-21-2010, 10:36 AM
CNCA is right. In my brief, 2 day testing, the variability is obvious.

We just put out 10 buckets. All of the reds were 2-2.5%. The sugars were 3-3.6.

But the first tap we put in a red came back at 3.6, but coming back 30 minutes later, after putting in the other 8 taps, it read only 2.6.

Conclusion - lots of variation - if you have the ability to check periodically, I suppose the average over time might be the most important thing to look at.

Dennis H.
02-21-2010, 11:19 AM
Those pesky reds I found are all over the board when it comes to sugar content.
Some of mine are putting out almost 3% and others are putting out what seems like water!

Anyway about your refractometer, When I got my sap one last year and checked there is only a certain temp range that the ATC will work for. I can't remember what that range is but but lets say it is +- 10 degrees. So if you calibrate it inside in 70 degree temps then it will be good for 60-80 degree window.

If you calibrate at or near the temps outside where you may be testing at the trees then it will be better. Lets say the outside temp is 45 then it will be good for 35-55 degrees.

I hope the info I found is correct and usefull for you. By the way mine also came from ebay and it works great.

Frank Ivy
02-21-2010, 07:55 PM
I can't remember what that range is but but lets say it is +- 10 degrees. So if you calibrate it inside in 70 degree temps then it will be good for 60-80 degree window.

I think the 10 degrees is in C, not F - at least for my model.

The WZ111 model is 40 bucks on ebay - delivered - from instrumentdepot.

I found this: "WZ111 Brix/ATC This model has a built-in automatic temperature compensation system Compensation temperature range:10℃~30℃." at this website . . . "http://www.shuoguang.com/product.asp?id=550".

So that means that you're good down to 50 degrees.

On a 35 degree day just keep it in your pocket, next to your body, and you'll be fine.

TapME
02-21-2010, 08:01 PM
bussell, man you got my attention with those readings. Can you imagine making a gallon of syrup for every 19 gallons in sap. Hows all the new equipment working?

Cardigan99
02-22-2010, 06:26 AM
We tap a bunch of reds here. Not uncommon for a red with a decent crown to start out the year at 3%. Also not uncommon for a red to test high in the morning and half of that later in the day.

802maple
02-22-2010, 07:54 AM
You guys have to much time on your hands. Just kidding

red maples
02-22-2010, 09:56 AM
sugar content can vary so much through out the day. first thing in the morning when the run first starts. high sugar (water still in the tree)

noon sugar lower,

evening sugar even lower,

just before it stops can be higher because tree is beging to freeze up.

when you have a marathon run(2 days non stop) by the end of the second day sugar very low!!! just from what I saw last year.