PDA

View Full Version : Trader names

3rdgen.maple
02-20-2010, 09:22 AM
I have been seeing some pretty creative names on here lately and thought it would be kind of fun to see the meaning behind them. Mine is pretty obvious. Im am the 3rd generation maple man in the family. So lets hear it.

Paddymountain
02-20-2010, 09:35 AM
Paddymountain, the name of the mountain right behind my house!!!

BarrelBoiler
02-20-2010, 09:39 AM
barrelboiler - what i started with and have yet to, but hopfully will, move up from

Flat47
02-20-2010, 09:41 AM
Mine's not maple related, unfortunately. It's a carry-over from another forum I'm a member of. I use it here to keep things simple in my mind. "Flat47" refers to my Jeep, a classic 1947 CJ2A flatfender. It's a flatfender '47...Flat47. There you go.

berry boy
02-20-2010, 10:28 AM
I own a pick your own blueberry farm hence the name "berryboy"

Rhino
02-20-2010, 10:38 AM
Rhino, just a nickname picked up from high school, my first name is Ryan so it slowly got transformed into Rhino. 42 years old now and still am called that.

stoweski
02-20-2010, 11:39 AM
One of my favorite winter sports is downhill skiing. My favorite mountain? Stowe. :)

HHM-07
02-20-2010, 12:33 PM
Mine is hobby hill maples and i started it in 07 after i retired so from that came hhm-07 (interesting thread)

Dick

umpwood1
02-20-2010, 12:40 PM
I am a baseball umpire and the wood is part of my name. Just threw the 1 in there for the heck of it. :)
umpwood1

maple flats
02-20-2010, 02:32 PM
My original woods were prety flat, only about a 5' elevation change over a 15 acre woods. Thus maple flats. Fortunately I have now leased a woods with lots of slope, sometimes too much for this old man.

BryanEx
02-20-2010, 02:33 PM
BryanEx... the first part of my real name. I registered for a free web-based email account in 1995 when they were just becoming popular but hit "Enter" when registering too early and never got to finish my name. Bryan Ex has stuck with me through various message boards and even my career as a self-employed web developer setting up community based web sites such as this one. These days I don't do much on-line but still use Bryan Ex out of habit more than anything.

Dill
02-20-2010, 03:01 PM
Mine is tricky.
I'm Alden Dill. Found out in college people who have had a couple "boiling sodas" couldn't figure out the Alden part so it got shortened.
And the "Sweet and Sour Dill" is my wife's idea, she's been selling Pickles and Jellies so it was a good way to work the maple in.

farmall h
02-20-2010, 04:41 PM
I came up with "farmall h" 'cause my son and I use it to drag out firewood. We call it the 'ol H. See it pictured on my profile. It is left in the woods all winter...pulled the choke - pushed the starter button and she fired up! My son is 9 and I'm 45. Really would like a JD40c or 420 dozer though.;)

wdchuck
02-20-2010, 04:57 PM
1) My first name is Chuck, therefore 2) I named my business the "Woodchuck Painting Company", and 3) Woodchuck is one of those slang terms for us rural Vermonters....it all works...

morningstarfarm
02-20-2010, 05:00 PM
Morningstar Farm is the name of our horse farm and my farrier service. Sorry not really original;)

Brian Ryther
02-20-2010, 05:02 PM
My name is Brian Ryther.

802maple
02-20-2010, 05:37 PM
You put alot of thought into your name Brian, mine is 802maple which Vermonts area code is 802 so it became short for vermon maple

KenWP
02-20-2010, 05:50 PM
Man I feel bad. My name is Ken and W is my middle initial and last name starts with a P. I have no imangination so it works for me.

wnybassman
02-20-2010, 05:56 PM
I live in Western New York and I am a bass fisherman.

TF Maple
02-20-2010, 06:15 PM
TF Maple is short for Twin Forty, which is the name of the farm. Originally it was an 80 acre farm consisting of 2 40 acre patches that touched on one corner. It was a dairy farm my Dad and I own together but now we raise young stock for larger farmers. I added maple for this forum.

Snow Hill Farm
02-20-2010, 06:23 PM
I live on Snow Hill Lane and the farmer I bought my land from named it that because the hill behind our house (where the sugarbush is, facing northeast) is always the last area with snow.

PARKER MAPLE
02-20-2010, 06:40 PM
well i bet you can tell why mine is maple rookie:lol:
only second year doing this on my own and well lots of rookie questions..

but no better place to ask them thanks for all the help

Jeremy:)

Homestead Maple
02-20-2010, 06:54 PM
I don't remember how many years ago it was but I was told about a 2x8 evaporator that a farmer had for sale, so I went to him and asked if he still had it. He said he did and to make him an offer. I had $75 dollars on me, so I offered him that and he said take anything else there was around the sugar house. I took the evaporator and flat pans that it had, a thermometer, some buckets, covers, spiles, a few other small maple related items and this old sign he had on the sugar house that said, Homestead Maple.

unclebuck
02-20-2010, 06:56 PM
my last name is Buck and when I opened the sugar house we were looking for a name and my darling little neices said why not call it Uncle Bucks. thats how it all started

Mac
02-20-2010, 06:57 PM
My given name is Douglas.........but I go by "Mac"

sapman
02-20-2010, 06:58 PM
When I started making syrup for real in '92, my friends just started calling me sapman, so I figured I finally found a place to use it!

Tim

Toblerone
02-20-2010, 07:00 PM
I really like the candy and I think it's a funny-sounding name.

shane hickey
02-20-2010, 07:08 PM
well I have a couple of names I run a farm called Hickey Farms.
My sugar bush is called Hilltop Maples LLC.
we currently are tapping just over 7400 taps this year.
And last my name is Shane Hickey, I just recently found this
web page, I thought it would be neat to be able to communicate
with other producers. Good luck to everyone this year.:emb:

RileySugarbush
02-20-2010, 07:34 PM
We live in an old church camp on the shores of Riley Lake where we have about 5 acres to tap. Together with 3 families around the lake we run Riley Sugarbush, a converted camp cabin for a sugarhouse.

highroadsyrup
02-20-2010, 07:35 PM
Our "saphouse" has changed locations 3 times but has stayed on the High Road in Cornish Maine since 1969.

Sugarmaker
02-20-2010, 08:01 PM
This is a good post and gets us thinking a little too. Nice to read through the different names that we become know as, or use for various reasons!
My name is Chris Casbohm. I signed up on the trader years ago and then did not use it for a long time.
I originally used my name as my first sign in name. Several years later I was reintroduced to the trader by a young man named Chase Bortles. We we both looking at a short stack of Wheeling buckets during a farm auction. I asked him if he made syrup and introduced myself. He said yes we do! And why haven't you been posting on the maple trader? I had forgotten all about the trader. Neither of us bought the buckets. They went for $5.00 each which was out of our price range. Chase introduced me to his dad Jim and mom Terri. We realized we had similar interested in maple and a new friendship was established.
After many posts on the trader I looked around and realized there was not a "Sugarmaker" so I emailed the maples guys and asked to have my name changed on the trader.
Regards,
Chris

super sappy
02-20-2010, 08:08 PM
The first year we boiled on the old half pint I was out real late at night and a bunch of neighbors that ride snow machines and quads on the trails around here stopped by. They had some whiskey and figured out that maple syrup and JD taste pretty good .One guy liked it way too much and performed a rap song about" super sappy the rapin tapper " A wile later the bottle was gone and one of the guys told me that I was the "supersappyest" That handle stuck like velcro gloves on a sheep. - super sappy

Oaknut
02-20-2010, 08:08 PM
When I was younger I knew an old timer who refered to acorns as oaknuts. I always got a chuckle out of this and when it was time to name my bussiness decided to go with Oaknut Forest Products. 6 years ago when we started doing maple syrup again we decided to name that Oaknut Maple Products. Makes some people scratch their heads but always makes for good conversation!

Z/MAN
02-20-2010, 08:36 PM
After trying a few other names that were already taken on on other forums I tried Z/MAN and it worked. Z/MAN comes from the fact that I own a 1969 camaro Z/28. When I joined this forum I just went and used it.

Loun
02-20-2010, 11:15 PM
add me to the unoriginal list :) Lou N is my name. Ive used Loun for a lot of years online as a forum name.

My maple conglomerate is getting a name shortly though :)

jtthibodeau
02-20-2010, 11:57 PM
When you get old, you need to make it easy to remember....

Russell Lampron
02-21-2010, 05:37 AM
One of the unoriginal ones here. The Maple Trader was the first forum that I had ever signed up on and I didn't know about people using screen names. Thus my real name Russell Lampron.

I use russhd1997 on other forums now. Russ for my first name, HD for the first brand new Harley that I ever owned and 1997 was the year of the Harley. The 1997 Harley has been replaced with a 2006 but the name stays the same.

cncaboose
02-21-2010, 08:12 AM
One of my many non-maple interests is railroads both full size and model. So I have a basement full of HO trains and a real former Canadian National (CN) caboose (or "van" for you Canadians) in my back yard. 30 tons of orange and black caboose makes for some interesting conversations and everyone around knows where we live because of it. Our maple operation is Giffin Road Maple though for the little traveled dirt road it is located on.

KenWP
02-21-2010, 08:25 AM
One of my many non-maple interests is railroads both full size and model. So I have a basement full of HO trains and a real former Canadian National (CN) caboose (or "van" for you Canadians) in my back yard. 30 tons of orange and black caboose makes for some interesting conversations and everyone around knows where we live because of it. Our maple operation is Giffin Road Maple though for the little traveled dirt road it is located on.

Never heard one called a VAN in my many years of living around a CP worker. Always was a caboose untill they stopped useing them. Now CN could have been called a VAN but not being YR I never had to much to do with them.

maplehound
02-21-2010, 08:26 AM
After I got started making syrup I called my business Raccoon Run Maple syrup, since we had alot of raccoons around here and my bush was a valley with a stream running through it somtetimes called a Run. So when I wanted a dog my father thought I should have a Coon Hound. Eventually my customers new that when they came they would be met by my hound dog and so we called him a maple hound since he wouldn't hunt coons. That is how I got my name and now that the dog has passed my son now has a Bloodhound named Maple hound.

BoarsNest
02-21-2010, 08:41 AM
My name comes from our hunting camp. I keep the name to honor my dad who passed away about 14 years ago. My dad started the camp with some buddies in the early 60's and we kept the name when he bought his own property in 1972. You can see my dad on the front porch on my flickr page.

I think that makes it older than The Dukes of Hazard.

Keyes Hollow Gold
02-21-2010, 09:57 AM
I live in Keyes hollow, I'm sure you know what the "Gold" stands for.:)

upsmapleman
02-21-2010, 07:14 PM
I work for UPS and make syrup on the side. Have over 3o years with UPS. Hope to jump out in 3 years and play more with maple. Taking the month of March off this year because I'm getting too old to work 50 hours a week and make syrup at night.

Stickey
02-21-2010, 07:43 PM
I have a name that has "stuck" with me since I was a kid. I never liked it as a kid but it just seems to fit with maple syrup. My name's Nicholas, Nick for short and Stickey Nickey is what they called me. When I asked my dad to help me start building maple equipment he laughed out loud and said "Stickey Nickey's maple syrup, I like it."

MartinP
02-21-2010, 07:47 PM
Nothing origional here Martin Parrott, thus MartinP

TapME
02-21-2010, 07:49 PM
It's real simple here. We tap trees and live in Maine TapME.

Riverdale
02-21-2010, 08:10 PM
Our farm name is Riverdale Farm...we're right on the west branch of the Delaware

peacemaker
02-21-2010, 08:22 PM
in 1998 i tooka summer strole from GA to ME... GA there was a church group that took over the shelter they where cookiking hotdogs and beans it was freezing raining and sleet and snow ....( before my little walk i was a Peace officer) ... so there us strollers are outside 4 days from town freezing with strolling food as the church group sat in the nice dry shelter and eating real food .. so i said to "skid da " i bet i could take them and toss them and take there food .... and she said now thats not becoming of a peace officer.... and so i shall name u peacemaker
2160 miles latter and then 500 again the following summer and now 12 yeaers latter it still is with me but by now most people call me Peace

3% Solution
02-21-2010, 08:31 PM
Ok here it is; the sap we gather usually averages out to 3%, so it's a solution of sorts, so ............... 3% Solution it is.
However, we run Jones Family Maple.

cncaboose; I've heard them called buggies before.

Doc
02-21-2010, 08:53 PM
Doc....Okay....as boring as it is....I am one. :)
Love this wonderful world of Maple!!!!

mapleack
02-21-2010, 08:57 PM
Mapleack comes from Maple+(A)ndrew (C)hapman (K)inter

Maplebrook
02-22-2010, 06:56 PM
Maplebrook -

Our name's a cross between our favorite hobby and where we live - Beaver Brook, Elmsdale, N.S.

MapleME
02-22-2010, 07:01 PM
Doc, love the profile pic. We had a shar pei who we last 2 years ago- lucy....or loosey because of her skin. Loved that dog, sweetest thing in the whole world.

Doc....Okay....as boring as it is....I am one. :)
Love this wonderful world of Maple!!!!

MapleME
02-22-2010, 07:04 PM
Im MapleME- live in Maine, and tap maples....pretty simple but thats how I like it!

Doc
02-22-2010, 07:51 PM
MapleMe,

Shar Pei's are awesome loyal buddies!!! They slobber like no other and shed tons in January ( China's summer!!??).
They are as loyal a friend as you will ever have.
Sorry to hear about Loosey. Time for you to get another one buddy!!! She would want you to.

My first was Emmitt (looked like Emmitt Otter (Jug Band Christmas) and he was my best friend. He would do anything for me and went with me everywhere. He died 3 years ago while I was away in Canada fishing.

I was telling a patient of mine how much I missed my best friend one day and shortly after she came back into the office holding a Shar Pei puppy. She raised them.

I told her that I wasn't ready for a new puppy and handed him back.
The next day my wife called her, picked him up and brought him home.

85 pounds later and he's my buddy. He can't wait to go down to the lake and check the buckets. I pour a little in his bucket for a sweet treat. During the summer he loves to go fishing.

We named him Watson. "Watson and Crick" discovered DNA and if anything on this Earth is a genetic experiment, it's a Shar Pei.
He's wearin' that hat isn't he!!??
:)

Buckshot
02-23-2010, 06:20 PM
In early spring 2008, my husband and I purchased 16 acres of very rugged (Canadian Shield) land to build a small cabin on. This parcel of land is about 15mins from a little village called Plevna. Originally, in the 1800's, Plevna was known as Buckhsot, but the post office objected to delivering mail to a village with an Indian name, hence the renaming to Plevna. What didn't change, was the name of nearby Buckshot Lake, and Buckshot Lake Road. It is this road that runs smack dab in the middle of our 16 acres, so we've called our little one room cabin the "Buckshot Cabin".
The maple syrup bug started that spring when we had to remove a widow-maker maple tree along side our "driveway". The sap was just flowing from the stump once the tree was taken down - which got us thinking.....how many maples are there and do we want to try our hand at tapping?
We set out 50 buckets in the spring of 2009 - and made 15 litres - just with weekend boils on a cinder arch. We only tapped one oak tree! :lol:
It was fun, and we're gearing up for another season with 80 taps this time.

Clan Delaney
02-23-2010, 06:52 PM
My name is Brian Ryther.

best story ever! :lol:

Clan Delaney
02-23-2010, 07:03 PM
Clan Delaney- it technically goes back to the first email address my wife and I shared, which came from a brief infatuation of sorts with my Irish heritage (no, not the drinking and smelling bad :lol:). Did the Irish have clans? I have no idea. The Scots did, but I only know that from watching Braveheart. So early on we decided we were the clan Delaney. It started as one word: clandelaney. Now we've both got our own separate emails, but I've used that old clandelaney to sign up for SO many different websites and forums that it just stuck. And now you're stuck with it too. Ha!

HobbitMannor
02-23-2010, 07:31 PM
HobbitMannor is a name that I got for our place from a couple of friends. They were checking out the constuction on the house and commenting on all of the "Hobbit habitats" and they did the same thing in the sugarhouse. Everything is located on a hill-the sugar house is the next level up from the house so it has become Hobbit Mannor, kind of lame but it stuck.

maple sapper
02-23-2010, 08:15 PM
Maple sapper......... Need I say more? I run my maple business as Kennedy Family Maple. Currently, I am the only sap (no pun) working the operation. I used to go by the name maple moonshine and city slicker maple. It started when my daugther was 3. I asked her if she wanted to learn how to make syrup. We went the the local farmers exchange mkt and bought ten stainless taps and I rigged the taps up with plastic tubing into five gal pails. i used a turkey fryer set up. The next year I went nuts and have continued to go to the next level each year. I Know every maple within a mile of my house.

KenWP
02-23-2010, 09:51 PM
Clan Delaney- it technically goes back to the first email address my wife and I shared, which came from a brief infatuation of sorts with my Irish heritage (no, not the drinking and smelling bad :lol:). Did the Irish have clans? I have no idea. The Scots did, but I only know that from watching Braveheart. So early on we decided we were the clan Delaney. It started as one word: clandelaney. Now we've both got our own separate emails, but I've used that old clandelaney to sign up for SO many different websites and forums that it just stuck. And now you're stuck with it too. Ha!

Of course the Irish had clans they even wore kilts. Only difference between a Irishman and a Scot is the taste of the booze and the Irish get madder quicker. They even had wars between clans not just religions.

Goggleeye
02-23-2010, 10:06 PM
Goggleeye - no, it doesn't refer to my vision. No coke-bottle glasses here. Goggleeye are my favorite fish to fish for here in the Missouri Ozarks. An absolute blast it is to sight fish for these secretive little fish while wading through the Ozark streams. And they're tasty, too!

Brokermike
02-25-2010, 09:38 AM
I'm a stock broker by trade and my name is Mike, not real fancy but practical

red maples
02-25-2010, 10:11 AM
I have almost all red maples therefore red maples..."willow creek sugarhouse"
I live on Willow Road and there is a brook that runs throughthe middle of the swamp starting from 2 springs that start on my property. (althoug it is small and has no offiacial name ) and the sugarhouse because that's where I make the maple stuff:rolleyes: :)

LawnMowerMan
02-25-2010, 10:22 AM
I own and run a lawn maintenance company, spend most of my summer days on a lawn mower.;)

Ausable
02-25-2010, 11:17 AM
In Michigan there is a magical place called "Up North". In most of my family - "Up North" always meant the AuSable River. It started with my Grandparents, Parents, Aunts and Uncles, Cousins, Siblings and now my Children, Grandchildren and Great Grandchildren. I operated two of the Ausable River Dams for ten years, retired near it, camp along it in Summer and it is part of our life .. ha.. besides most of names with Maple in it have already been claimed ....... Mike

muddyfootprints
02-25-2010, 12:49 PM
"muddyfootprints" well last year while the group of us was boiling, feeding the fire, and consuming some adult beverages all outside, one of my friends decided to go into the house and cross the the white carpet with his muddy boots, No it wasn't me but the next morning I got the blame from house owners wife, she wasn't happy, did I mention it WAS white carpet. Well later that day after she was finally settled down and we were discussing what to call our maple syrup, lots of names came about and just to get her going a little bit I thru out "how about muddy foot prints" and all but one laughed but everyone liked it and that is now what we call our syrup Muddy footprints maple syrup

just a side note that spring my buddy had to move the cooker away from his house, so it was more of a reason to build my own shack where muddy footprints are expected.

heus
02-25-2010, 01:57 PM
My name has absolutely no meaning whatsoever. Was my name on another website.

Maplesedge
02-25-2010, 02:58 PM
Started making syrup when we had no trees and one tap that we bought at at a sugaring demonstration because we always wanted to do that. Found a tree whose owner let us tap, gathered our first gallon in a spring water jug, boiled it on the stove, and flash! That first 1/4 cup of syrup turned into taffy before our eyes. Might have gone over the edge right at the beginning.

Also, our name is Edgington, and we like to put an edge in everything.

If we made enough syrup to sell, we'd call it Over the Edge Farms.

VA maple guy
02-25-2010, 11:14 PM
Back in '05 I was the only one way down here in northern Virginia making syrup. So Va maple guy came to mind.
Gerry

SilverLeaf
02-26-2010, 09:42 AM
3 years ago after our daughter was born the wife & I fulfilled a dream: moving out of the city onto a hobby farm. Onto the very farm of my youth, in fact. We were looking for a good "farm name" and eventually, after realizing that this maple "hobby" was going to be a notable part of our lives now, we came up with "Silver Leaf Farms", partly because we like the sound of it, and partly to honor our gratitude that, thanks to the hardiness of the Silver Maple, we are able to make the sweet stuff, even way out here in Little House on the Prairie country....

evansglenn
02-27-2010, 06:38 AM
My Trader name is "evansglenn" because that is my email. Now had I been thinking, I would have came up with something much more clever than that. I tried to change it not to long ago, but the only way to do that is to get a new email, and start a new profile.

However, my syrup is called "Jitney Syrup." That name came from my grampa. He had names for everything, and he called his woods beater, his Jitney. So now I make Jitney Syurp, and I live on Jitney Lane. I had to build an easement road through my property and it was able to me a named road. I figured I'd name it before someone else did. I didn't want them to name my road because I figured they would give it a silly name.

bees1st
02-27-2010, 06:48 AM
For me the bees came 1st, before I got into Maple.And at certain times of year when I'm busy with the bees and my wife asks me if I could do something for her, I always reply , not now the bees come first.

Cardigan99
02-27-2010, 07:41 AM
"Cardigan" because we live close to Mt Cardigan.

"99" because that's the year we moved here.

forkhornhanson
02-27-2010, 08:30 AM
im an avid deer hunter and a forkhorn is generally a young buck, well anyways when i started posting on different forums i guess i considered myself a young buck, amd my last name is hanson. Name has stuck with me for all my internet sites for about 10 years now

Cardigan99
02-27-2010, 04:07 PM
In Michigan there is a magical place called "Up North". In most of my family - "Up North" always meant the AuSable River. It started with my Grandparents, Parents, Aunts and Uncles, Cousins, Siblings and now my Children, Grandchildren and Great Grandchildren. I operated two of the Ausable River Dams for ten years, retired near it, camp along it in Summer and it is part of our life .. ha.. besides most of names with Maple in it have already been claimed ....... Mike

Mike, I know the AuSable. I spent many a summer up in E Tawas back in the day.

Hurry Hill Farm
02-27-2010, 04:55 PM
In 1846 a man named Charles Billings came from Vermont to Pennsylvania to farm. He built a log house, cleared the land until he had a working farm with buildings and orchard on 210 acres. He built a massive barn here on Fry Road where I grew up - the barn was three stories high and the barn floor was big enough to have two teams of horses hitched to wagons, turn simultaneously around in a circle without backing up. One day in 1911, Charles' son, Archie, was in town (Edinboro, PA) with his horse and buggy. His hired man was grinding feed with a new gas powered engine on the second story barn floor and a spark flew and the barn caught fire. Throughout the afternoon Archie was informed several times by townspeople that his barn was on fire. He did not seem rattled by the impending loss and after several inquires as to why he did not want to go home and tend to the fire he simply replied, "Why should I hurry up that hill when there will be no barn to put my sweaty horse in then I get there?"

When my brothers and I were young (age 6), we tapped four trees in our front yard that Charles had planted and had a flat pan on a field stone arch from that barn, right where that barn stood. I was always crazy about making maple syrup (and still am!) and decided then that MY syrup was going to be called Hurry Hill.

farmall h
02-27-2010, 05:24 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if he and his family established Billing's Dairy...a milk processing plant. I believe it was located in Springfield, VT. Maybe one of the guys here on the trader that live in that area could verify.

sapsucker
02-27-2010, 05:26 PM
I came up with the name "Sapsucker" because I also enjoy birdwatching (named after the Yellow Bellied Sapsucker). My apologies to the person who already had a name very similar to mine. I didn't realize it until later.

Believe it or not, the reason I got into doing maple syrup is because I discovered a red maple tree that a woodpecker had bored a hole into. Sap was dripping from the wound so I placed a bucket under it. I boiled a half gallon down to about nothing. Then I crudely "tapped" some more trees and ran my parent's electrice bill throught the roof while in amazement at how little sugar is actually in sap. This was a 6 years ago and I was still in college. To this day I still cannot figure out why running around in the freezing cold to drill holes in trees, hauling heavy buckets of sap, and staying up late at night watching water boil is so much FUN!

mapleman3
02-27-2010, 07:43 PM
I'm a Man... Making maple with 3 kids... I think that's why, now I really don't remember back so far. I have been here just months after the trader got started back in 02

jrthe3
02-27-2010, 07:51 PM
it started as my email address i am the third my dad is a jr but every one how did not know my grandfather always refered to me as jr so that is where it comes from but now my son is the fourth an i don't know if a name change is in order

Bill'sSugarShack
02-28-2010, 02:36 AM
Kinda easy to figure mine out...lol
I'm Bill and it's my sugar shack.

RockFarm
02-28-2010, 04:08 PM
In 1984 I bought ten acres of land in the southern Catskills. I just wanted a place where I could go camping whenever I wanted without worrying about crowds, permits, fees, etc. I lucked out and found a nice piece with State Forest Preserve on two sides. A retired NYC cop had the lot next to mine, and he was trying to grow a garden and fruit trees, things he never had a chance to do when he was working in the city. He was having a heck of a time trying to keep out the rabbits and deer, and scraping together enough dirt to plant anything in the forested rocky ground. One day he asked me if I was interested in trying to "farm" anything on my piece of land. I laughed and told him that the only thing I could farm was rocks, because the place was a Rock Farm. The name stuck.
Now, besides the wild blueberries and blackberries and a few Christmas trees, I also harvest some firewood to heat my house in New Jersey. The maple trees on the property have their own allure, of course.
My name is Jeff, and I am a maple addict.

davey
02-28-2010, 04:32 PM
I tried to be Dave, but someone else already had it. My son's name is Davey and most of the fun in Maple is working with him so we went with that.

Saw Filer
03-04-2010, 10:06 PM
Its what I do in the real world, for food.

cpmaple
03-04-2010, 10:52 PM
cp is for the town i live in Crown Point,NY and maple is one of my three beagles name after making maple syrup last year for the first time i named her it.

PapaSmiff
03-05-2010, 08:15 AM
My last name is Smith. My grandsons call me Papa. When they were young, they had trouble with the "th" dipthong. Hence, PapaSmiff.

3rdgen.maple
12-16-2010, 09:25 PM
Seems we got alot of new members and we had some fun reading these post in the past so I thought I would revive it and get to know some of you a little better.

lastwoodsman
12-17-2010, 06:25 AM
An old timer I knew as a kid, you know the type flattop haircut, llbean boots, red felt brimmed hat and canvas duck hunting pants. I wanted to be a mountain man (I didn't know there was not much call for them any longer)and he would spend a lot of time with me, very craft orientated fella made a lot with his hands. Traditional outdoor values, (hold a match between your fingers until cold, clear the base of a tree before swinging a ax.

I try to carry on his values which seem to be disappearing in the world today.
woodsman

talahi maple products
12-17-2010, 09:34 AM
I bought The property from the girl scouts. I found the old sign & named my sugar shack ( thier old sleeping quarters)after thier camp name.

firetech
12-17-2010, 10:48 AM
I'm employed by the State of Michigan and I install, test ,repair and program fire alarm systems for the DTMB dept owned bldgs. All the main office bldgs in Lansing about 45 all together. At home I'm a fire tech in another way wood heat for the house, wood fired evaporator, and building a wood fire brick oven next summer. Firetech is my user name all over the web.

maplecrest
12-17-2010, 11:41 AM
maple crest i am the 8th generation, my son the 9th, on this farm to make maple syrup.pre 1900 most was granulated maple sugar.to look back to the records of the 1860's and see the amount sent by train to chicago was quite a feat in those days. and some years never tapped until late april due to deep snow.

collinsmapleman2012
12-17-2010, 02:47 PM
simple and unoriginal colllins is my last name im a boy that makes maple and i graduate in 2012:D there are some neat names out there

farmall h
12-17-2010, 05:40 PM
farmall h, as pictured. First tractor I operated as a kid. I believe their is another "farmall" logged in here somewhere.:)

Tweegs
12-18-2010, 08:20 AM
Tweegs is just a user name with a long, unimportant story behind it. The important part is that it’s one syllable, easy to spell, and easy to remember. .. A definite advantage for a crotchety, senile, old cuss who lost most of his mental capacity quite some time ago.

The actual farm name is Two Crows Cottage, simply because the wife and I are a couple of old crows. :lol:

sugarmountain
12-18-2010, 05:30 PM
Sugarmountain maple, just the old family buisness name passed to me by my father (who still keeps a watchfull eye, and wonders if we need "all them gizmos") from 1970... somthing.

farmall h
12-18-2010, 05:34 PM
by my father (who still keeps a watchfull eye, and wonders if we need "all them gizmos").

I hear you...I have a father that still isn't convinced about the need for vacuum...electricity to the sugar house was a big step for him!

Cake O' Maple
08-15-2011, 11:55 AM
Stumbled across this thread, and read every page. Lots of interesting stories here!

Although I'm an Occupational Therapist in real life, I do custom cakes on the side, and had to have something about maple (of course!) in my name for here. Maple Cake didn't sound like me, Cake of Maple too boring, so became Cake O' Maple.

GramaCindy
08-15-2011, 04:02 PM
My husband Tim had saved up for years to take that "once in a lifetime" Moose hunt to Newfoundland. Unfortunately, his father passed away about the time that he was to go, so he postponed the trip for a few weeks. Luckily, both Tim and his buddy Tony each bagged a bull moose, but the bigger Bulls had moved up to higher country. His moose is a good size, but the rack is much like a Deer's. Hence, the cabin became the "Mangy Moose!" Had to name the syrup the same.

SWEETER CREATIONS
08-15-2011, 05:14 PM
We used to be called Sweet Creations but the only one who liked anything maple was me ! After my bitter divorce I got to keep the maple equipment only and the name . My new wife loves maple and kids enjoy it also but we needed a new name for the business things are pretty sweet around here but like fine wine only get sweeter thus the name Sweeter Creations as everyone is now envolved in maple 6 sons, inlaws , things just getting sweeter and of coarse the one who started all this was my wife and best friend so Sweeter Creations was born:D

Flat Lander Sugaring
08-15-2011, 06:42 PM
first part of name says it all, never can be a Vermonter must be 3rd gen (not 3rdgen) from altamar) for that I was told by an old timer

KenWP
08-15-2011, 08:36 PM
I use the name Pigkiller on another site I belong to.Guy asked one night what kind of pigs I killed and when I said fat lazy ones he took exception as he was a cop.The guy who runs the group told him that I ran a large hog operation hence the name and he settled down. Seems like every name I wanted somebody else beat me to it so i am stuck with my own on here.

OneLegJohn
08-15-2011, 10:00 PM
You don't even want to know...

shane hickey
08-15-2011, 10:13 PM
Company name was Hickey farms I changed it to hilltop maples just happen to live on a
Hill my real name is just above this thread have any questions just ask but ill admint I'm
Young and still don't know it all. I just try to do things better every year and grow a little
more. Shane

hotfire
08-16-2011, 06:31 AM
The name say's it all. I own a sheet metal shop and it's a good thing because i spend all my $ on maple stuff lol

wood burner
08-16-2011, 03:37 PM
Simple... I boil on a 4x10 wood fired evaporator. Burn alot of wood

farmer12071
08-16-2011, 05:38 PM
im a farmer,we grow almost 3000 acres of corn and vegitables.the 12071 is zip code.

mtcrumpit
08-24-2011, 04:20 AM
The Grinch lived atop a hill (Mt Crumpit) that has hard to get to, sister-in-law thought there were similarities on the drive leading UP to our house. The name stuck.

sdixon8
08-24-2011, 08:27 AM
another boring one my name is scott dixon and 8 is the number of a super late model that i used to build engines for. we run tignit maple products which is located on the long four thirty dairy, and endless endeavor farm.

tamat
08-24-2011, 09:58 AM
I used the initials of my family's first names t(Tim) a(Aaron my oldest son) m(Matthew the middle child and the one that sugars with me) a(Amanda the youngest) t(Tina my wife of 31 years)

Tim

Luneyburg
08-25-2011, 04:20 PM
Well I live in the town of Lunenburg Massachusetts, does not take much imagination to figure out the rest :o

I have been called many a things including Mad man , crazy,Luney,insane or simply Dangerous Dan . Go figure ? Can you say OCD ? I approach work,hobbies,and most everything i do with a vengeance and when i get back into sugaring (if i ever get started again) it will be no different .

Great post and some great replies !