PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning gathering tank

digman_41
02-26-2005, 07:12 AM
I bought a 215 gal pickup truck tank, it was used for water storage. The tank has a large build-up of rust scale inside it. Any suggestions how to clean the rust out? Thanks Mark

gmcooper
02-26-2005, 07:42 AM
That rust scale might be tough to clean out. It might stain the inside of the tank. More than likely it did stain it. I have used a power washer to clean our tanks most years. it is a wet job and takes a bit of work to run the wand inside the tank. That should remove the scale. I use clorox to disinfect them but don't think it will take off any of the color. The cleaner CLR should help but I doubt it is safe for food use. If all else fails ask a plumber.
Good luck
Mark

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-26-2005, 08:46 PM
Might try to let some bleach and water stand it it for a day or so and then wash it out really good with baking soda and water. The way I see it if it was pottable water in it before, don't worry too much about it. Just wash it the best you can and it should be fine.

Is it a metal tank or a plastic tank with a lot of iron water buildup on it??

digman_41
02-27-2005, 06:42 AM
Thanks guys, thought about the CLR but figured that would be worse than the rust stain. I assume that if I remove any loose stuff the discoloration won't harm the sap. By the way Brandon it's plastic. Thanks Mark

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-27-2005, 11:34 AM
Mark,

It's just iron water stain and shouldn't affect the sap any. That stuff will stain galvanized buckets and you can't get it off. Just clean it the best you can and use it. It won't hurt anything as I have a couple of drawoff buckets that have it inside them. :D It's really mainly just color and nothing else. :D

sweetwoodmaple
02-27-2005, 01:23 PM
With iron, it's no big deal. Especially since it was just water.

Remember though, even HDPE plastic has some absorption and will therefore slowly leach out into the sap. That's why most producers prefer stainless for tanks.

I myself use plastic 275 gallon totes cause I can't afford new stainless or get out to farm auctions much to get left over milk tanks.

Brian